Sony MDR-ZX220BT headphones charge OK but lose that charge if not used...why?

Mar 23, 2018
In February 2018 I bought some Sony MDR-ZX220BT Wireless Bluetooth headphones for my partner. She mainly uses them for occasional phone calls on her mobile, rather than using them for listening to music on a daily or regular basis. She said that the headphones charge up OK but once charged, if she doesn't use them for a few days they lose their charge. Of course this makes them unusable for the next phone call (which is usually unscheduled) because the battery is flat and needs recharging. To compound the problem these headphones cannot be charged and used at the same time.
Is it normal for the headphone battery to lose its charge if the headphones are not used?
It seems ridiculous to have to keep the headphones on a continual charge just on the off-chance that there might be an unexpected phone call for which she wants to use them.

Solution
I am going to guess that unless you manually turn the headphones off the built in bluetooth receiver is always on and that will drain the batteries. If your partner doesn't want to turn them off then perhaps getting into the habit of charging them every 2nd or 3nd night will keep them ready to go.
I am going to guess that unless you manually turn the headphones off the built in bluetooth receiver is always on and that will drain the batteries. If your partner doesn't want to turn them off then perhaps getting into the habit of charging them every 2nd or 3nd night will keep them ready to go.

Solution
Mar 23, 2018

Thank you, yes that appears to have been the problem... not turning the headphones off. She thought that they would 'time-out' and power-off themselves.
I charged them up, turned them off, and left them for 4 days. Have just turned them back on and they have retained their charge and are working fine.
I appreciate you helping us out.