Sony Moving to Serial Numbers with PS3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I can hardly wait to see how this gets commented on. The vitriol and anger are sure to be endlessly entertaining.

This is common (more than many may think) it business computing. Not a big deal for most.

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Maybe they realized that game companies actually loose more money from people sharing/buying used games than from piracy...

xantek24

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
[citation][nom]COLGeek[/nom]I can hardly wait to see how this gets commented on. The vitriol and anger are sure to be endlessly entertaining.This is common (more than many may think) it business computing. Not a big deal for most.[/citation]

it doesnt bother me really....i just smashed my ps3 after reading this....

theshonen8899

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
They need to stop...just....stop. They need to accept the fact that there will be pirates no matter what and the reality is that the majority of the world's gamers are not pirates. Hampering legitimate users by removing Linux or doing constant firmware updates does almost nothing to stop pirates and just makes legitimate users feel terrible about Sony's products.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
PS3 game, Serial number like a PC game and looks worse than a PC game.
XBox 360 game, no serial number and looks like the PS3 game.

Gee.. no advantage there for the PS3 ^_^. I think this move would only hurt sales of PS3s. Users who buy console games do so because they don't want to deal with serial numbers and crazy DRM (at least the hardware DRM doesn't annoy users who actually buy their games) and just want to play the darn game. I don't think this will affect the Wii, but for users who choose between a PS3 or a 360 this can only help 360 sales.

abottig

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
When will they learn? These corporations need to adapt to the market. The market dictates that barriers will always be circumvented.

Netflix is a shining example. I can get movies fo' free through torrent. However, this can be a tedious process for certain movies, formats, etc. That's where Netflix comes in. I pay for Netflix because it offers what torrent doesn't; convenience. I can instantly stream HD content on demand, and through a slick interface. $8 a month? excellent.

In Europe they have Spotify, a free, ad-supported music service that is legal, profitable, and convenient!

The market has shown time and time again that it will not bend to fit the needs of the corporations. Rather, the market has shown that charging exorbitant prices and restricting access leads to more piracy, not less.

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
You know if they were discounting new games by how much I can get for selling them back to gamestop this would be OK. Instead they're just scrambling to take as large a chunk of legal markets like the used one.
Clearly this isn't going to bother pirates one bit.

For more information see gun control laws.

jrtolson

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
i think this will do Sony much more harm than good... there will be allways piracy and a market for pirate games, imo in a way i think it drives hardware sales if it is control'd.. now i for don't buy pirate games, i don't even watch pirate dvd's (i like the proper thing), but there are parts of the world that the moral implications of using pirate software is questionable in povety stricken society's... as for serial keys these will just be pirated anyway.. ppl won't buy a game to spend 20 minutes trying to work out if a 0 is a o or a 1 is an I spending multiple failed attempts then spamming the publisher forums complaining there game is defunct.. and if they link the serial keys with online accounts then that would be even worse, for e.g i would like to play bioshock again but i cannot remember my log in details so screw that.. half life 2? well as i have an original release copy, steam hates my serial key for some reason? and as for galactic civilisations? i have bought the addons 3 times.. i could go on.... i AS A GAMER HATE IT!!!!!!!!

caeden

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Ya, that isnt going to stop anything. One of these days they will realize that most sales are lost because you can make an acct on a friend's console and download ALL of their online purchases. That is a bigger hit than piracy will ever be.
Want more people buying copies? Sell them for cheaper!
The best thing that ever happened to the music industry was piracy. Now I can buy high quality MP3/wav files for super cheap, and don't mind doing it. A CD that use to cost $12 new is now only $1/song or $5 for a bundle. We don't mind paying that!
Make fun games that are $20 with the occasional $40 blockbuster and sales will really fly!

G

[citation][nom]vertigo_2000[/nom]You can kiss console game rentals goodbye.[/citation]

Rentals? us EB Games, sure it may cost you the whole price but return it before 7 days and you get a full refund :) i see that as free rental, money in a bank you can't spend and playing a game for free legally :) then you return it and grab another title :D

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Much like preventing kids from meeting child predators on the Internet, you will never solve this issue. Someone will always find a way to pirate. Every website ever made for kids is NOT full proof, anyone can anonymously make their own unlimited amount of usernames and lie about their ages. There's an easy fix for that, but the problem is, is that it's world wide. If the entire planet was all one country, it'd be a different story.

Maybe the whole world should take down the Internet and we should just start over. Not gunna happen, we're back to square one.

Pawessum16

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2010
That would just turn me to hacking and pirating, although in reality, I would hardly get affected by it. I hate how greedy the game companies, are though. If they want a piece of the used game pie, then start a used game service for goodness sake. I hate the digital world we're getting in because of the confusion between what we own and what we don't own. Software isn't like buying the desk or chair your sitting in. You can resell those if you choose and no one gets angry. You resell a used video game and suddenly your looked down upon. I hate not having something that I can physically say I own.
Back to the subject, as long as consumers are given physical disks with their games on them, then they should be able to sell them used as long as they want. Don't be pricks game industry, used car sales eat into car manufacturers, but they aren't putting finger print readers on their cars so that no one else may ever own them.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
[citation][nom]megamanx00[/nom]just want to play the darn game..[/citation]
Exactly. I buy a Xbox/PS3 game, I expect just to put the disc in the tray and hit play.
When I'm in mood to patch a game, fiddle with settings, do a couple inihacks for my awkward resolution and to allow custom FOV/aspect ratios, mess with AMD Catalyst Control Centre to further improve game quality, overclock my CPU/GPU/RAM, do a 4x500GB RAID0 for faster loads... I'll buy the game on Steam.

I can't do any of that good stuff on my PS3, so if it becomes more difficult, why would I bother?

Grizely1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just a quick observation....... how many people are playing pirated games on PS3s ???

It's not a PC, where you can *click* on a site, *click* on a torrent, *click* to install, and bam you're playing a pirated version of whatever game... I myself personally don't know a single person who is playing pirated games on their PS3, or XBox 360 for that matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.