Sony Music Japan and Sony Ericsson Get Hacked

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

izajasz

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
Thats what happens when Yo urelease and sell a product with certain capabilities (ps3 linux) and then by soft block you take it away and then wanting to put a guy that makes it possible again to jail. My hardware , my concern ffs. Sony needs to learn to respect their customers.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
I'm once again amazed at how people blame the victim for being the victim. Sure Sony's not the nicest company around, but that doesn't give anyone and everyone permission to hack their servers.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]I'm once again amazed at how people blame the victim for being the victim. Sure Sony's not the nicest company around, but that doesn't give anyone and everyone permission to hack their servers.[/citation]
They're the victim of their own stupidity. A company that their website is still open to an SQL injection attack deserves to be hacked. It's a problem that is so easy to fix and so easy to test with tools like Havij.
If someone hacked your bank and removed every single penny from your account, I wonder if you would come to the bank's defense. Sony may have been the target of a malicious attack but they are still responsible for the safety of the data they had stored on their servers.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]They're the victim of their own stupidity. A company that their website is still open to an SQL injection attack deserves to be hacked. It's a problem that is so easy to fix and so easy to test with tools like Havij.If someone hacked your bank and removed every single penny from your account, I wonder if you would come to the bank's defense. Sony may have been the target of a malicious attack but they are still responsible for the safety of the data they had stored on their servers.[/citation]

I most likely would come to my bank's defence if someone stole their money yes. Afterall it's still thieft. I don't much like the selfish mentality that everything which isn't bolted down is okay to steal.

I mean my website's probably vulnearable as well. I wouldn't know, but I'm guessing so. But that doesn't mean I want to be hacked by some kids

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]I most likely would come to my bank's defence if someone stole their money yes. Afterall it's still thieft. I don't much like the selfish mentality that everything which isn't bolted down is okay to steal. I mean my website's probably vulnearable as well. I wouldn't know, but I'm guessing so. But that doesn't mean I want to be hacked by some kids[/citation]
So what you're saying is that a bank can profit from you storing your money there but they aren't responsible for it's safety? You have an interesting views.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]So what you're saying is that a bank can profit from you storing your money there but they aren't responsible for it's safety? You have an interesting views.[/citation]

Ofcourse they're responsible for safeguarding it, but they're not expected to defend it at any cost.
Your point of view would be like claiming it's Alfa Romeo's fault that I broke mine by driving in front of a VW Transporter - they should've taken measures to ensure it wouldn't happen. It's possible to do, but unreasonable to expect.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]Ofcourse they're responsible for safeguarding it, but they're not expected to defend it at any cost. Your point of view would be like claiming it's Alfa Romeo's fault that I broke mine by driving in front of a VW Transporter - they should've taken measures to ensure it wouldn't happen. It's possible to do, but unreasonable to expect.[/citation]
Since you're the one driving, you're the one responsible not the car manufacturer. But if there was a problem with a car that was costing people's lives then the car manufacturer should be responsible.

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
[citation][nom]ikyung[/nom]Who has an impenetrable firewall? Please do tell.[/citation]

Steve Job's distortion field is pretty close to impenetrable when he sucks someone in.

G

I thinck this is payback for the ps3 hack lawsuit, i don't remember the details but to me this fits perfect in this picture

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
@ Vladislaus

So what your saying is, if someone comes to your house, breaks a window and steals all your stuff, your to blame for not barring your windows. The thief is in no way at fault, because your just that stupid.

I get what your saying now :)

G

[citation][nom]mortsmi7[/nom]@ VladislausSo what your saying is, if someone comes to your house, breaks a window and steals all your stuff, your to blame for not barring your windows. The thief is in no way at fault, because your just that stupid.I get what your saying now[/citation]

+1

Going along with the example of a homeowner, it really comes to balancing security and and the amount personal freedoms (and convenience) one is willing to sacrifice. Windows Vista may have been a stepping stone to Windows 7, it definitely wasn't perfect and Apple enjoyed poking fun at the UAC part of the OS, but it did add higher level of security.

Sony may have messed up big time, but they really do have a competitive console compared to Microsoft's Xbox 360 and it's sad to see a company as big as them get curb stomped, when they are already on the ground. Sony's already hurting financially because of the disaster in Japan.

As a consumer who owns a PS3, I hope that the aftermath of this PR nightmare does not degrading my user experience because developers have lost faith in the console.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]mortsmi7[/nom]@ VladislausSo what your saying is, if someone comes to your house, breaks a window and steals all your stuff, your to blame for not barring your windows. The thief is in no way at fault, because your just that stupid.I get what your saying now[/citation]
If I had something in my home that didn't belong to me then yes, I had a responsibility to replace whatever was stolen and deliver it to the owner.
When we have something in our care we are responsible for everything that happens to it. If that something is destroyed, stolen, regardless if these acts are done by an outside element or not, we have responsibility to it. Don't want this kind of responsibility then simple, don't accept anything to your care that doesn't belong to you.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]soccerdocks[/nom]I'm really wondering why all these attacks have been targeted against Sony. Are their security systems really that weak, or do hackers just dislike them that much?[/citation]

I would guess a bit of both, Sony sure have a history to resently piss some people of and they also admitted that a known unpatched security issue were used to obtain the 70 mil accounts info so yeah - A bit of both!

Status
Not open for further replies.