Sony Opening Move to Hacker Community Too

Status
Not open for further replies.

jskilnyk

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2010
Why? So they can remove the option later on down the road when they feel threatened or when sales are boosted enough? No thank you Sony. I'll get my Xbox and PC.

caeden

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
so let me get this straight... you have to run this app on the PS3 in order to connect it to the PC? Something tells me that the educational and hacking communities want a direct connection and will make their own if this turns out to be true.

dkant1n

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2010
Next thing you know the ones that make succesfull apps will have the police knocking at their door because the hacked their own devices

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]caeden[/nom]so let me get this straight... you have to run this app on the PS3 in order to connect it to the PC? Something tells me that the educational and hacking communities want a direct connection and will make their own if this turns out to be true.[/citation]Yeah this is stupid. Microsoft's SDK doesn't require a console to get in the middle. Plus... Move isn't nearly as slick for a PC based interface. The stuff the homebrew crowd has already demonstrated with Kinect is pretty sweet.

FrozenGpu

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
I doubt this will work out for those who want to develop anything software based for Sony on the community/amatuer level. With what happened to Chokolo, Sony is shooting itself w/ the flip-flop approach to allowing open access to their platform then taking it back.

Please cut it out Sony...

feeddagoat

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
The best part about Move.me is that developers won't need an SDK like other motion sensing products offered by competitors.

Basically we're too lazy to design one ourselves.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]feeddagoat[/nom]The best part about Move.me is that developers won't need an SDK like other motion sensing products offered by competitors.Basically we're too lazy to design one ourselves.[/citation]

...and the next sentence read-

In fact, the Move.me app will come bundled with sample code, user documentation and corporate material from SCE Research and Development to get designers immediately started "out of the box."

Almost every comment here so far has been scoffing at this, but honestly developing apps for Move (with Sony's approval) ain't exactly the same thing as hacking PS3 firmware and spreading it all over the internet for people to inevitably take advantage of (illegally). The most obvious difference being it's just a peripheral.

leadpoop

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
People will mass by the hundreds and thousands to jump at a chance to program the Move! Maybe not. At least this will allow Sony to sue them later on just so they can make a profit on the Move.

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Someone will create an emulator for the Move controller and Sony will issue a patch removing all PS3 capabilities, rendering the entire Move product line worthless. Fanboys will still line up to claim it was to prevent possible, someday, possible piracy or game cheats.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
It is my opinion that you have to use the console as a middle point,because they can use it to see what you are up to. If you read the eula you give them permission to let them monitor any and all communication;if your ps3 is in between and they don't like what they see......yuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.