Sony Patent Details Method on Blocking Used Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBodZod

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
I can see this having a negative impact on sales for the console let alone games being sold.

Not sure I would want to upgrade to a PS4 now with this kind of possibility on the horizon.

But it goes to show you how locked into a console you can be.

retrophe

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Hmm . . . unless it's incorporated into the disk, you could buy a used game and chunk the case.
But yes this is BS.

The-Darkening

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2006
This is crap, but digital games already don't let you sell them. I don't see why Sony would even bother. They can make a digital download console only and the result would be the same. I hope they fail miserably with this.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
This is a total gamechanger for games retailers. They buy used CDs for a share of the original so you can get a few more bucks for your next game. Now that method is void.

BS all around, for the end consumer and the commercial area.

Branden

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
i've owned PS1, PS2, and PS3. gaming is expensive so i save where i can, which is why nearly all my games are second hand. if this is true then sony can count me out on the next round.

the Ouya is looking better by the day.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
comes the ps4 and I buy it and a bunch of games. after a few months Ive made quite a collection of games. then my ps4 breaks and I have to buy a new one. I pop in my favorite game, and its blocked due to this fancy new drm...

I wonder how sony will fix this innevitable issue.

when I had ps2, I had alot of used games. I had MGS2, GTA3, and ICO, and a bunch of others. If I hadnt bought any of these games used I can honestly say I wouldnt have bought MGS3, GTA:VC, GTA:SA, and Shadow of Collosus NEW on launch. I was dirt broke kid back then, so I bought what was cheap. And when I liked a game, I saved up money to play the games I knew were going to be good. So, if any kids are like I was, I believe Sony will lose alot more money than they would make by implementing this. also topping to this loss would be the people against this drm. this is fail waiting to happen.

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
This is so unfair. But still if they are going to do this, then at the very least reduce the price of games in the first place. It's the same with the games you download from the Playstation store. How can they possibly charge the same as the store price, when;
- you can you usually buy it cheaper from a discount retailer
- you get no physical media
- there is no middle man bricks and mortar retailer
- the game takes up more space on your HDD
- like this new patent, you cannot transfer the game to the new machine if your machine dies or you sell it for the newer slimmer model
I am against hacking machines and piracy but I am even more against console manufacturers screwing us like this.

G

No problem, just buy the title brand new 6 months to 1 year later when it is going for 50% off.

G

They took it too far, however this is not something to be adopted amongst publishers.

Consumers should have the option of recoup lost money (most games don't warrant half the price it MSRP into new product prices) and that option is obviously 2nd hand trade-ins. Let along it is being transfered from a broken console to a new one within same person.

I foresee NFC hacking coming.

mystwalker

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
Sony is NUTS!
Hope this idea works for them because they will lose more customers and I will jump to another platform.
There is NO WAY I am paying $50+ for any but a select few video games. Remove the "2nd hand market" and not many will buy non main stream titles. $50+ for game from little known developer is not worth it for me. $20-$30 - worthy of thought.

popeyejohnson

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
they want more and more money for less and less stuff, and its the patent system that allows this to happen, raging at sony is misdirected, the correct thing to do is rage at the p,t,b, to get these nonsense laws changed, the correct action against sony is pirate the living death out of the company, abuse your position to get more of my money for less of your product? ok thats not fair, SO show them the ultimate in unfair takedowns, thats whats needed, massive movements against thosed who would rip you off

Status
Not open for further replies.