Sony Planning PSP Go Phone Running Android 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmcfc

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
If that was a real product yes, though that picture is not real. just a at&t samsung galaxy s captivate with grey buttons of the psp go...

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
Sony is really getting desperate. PSP Go was a no-go so let's add a phone functionality to it and maybe it will sell. Didn't Nokia try this with the N-Gage?

fivewall

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
[citation][nom]blurr91[/nom]Sony is really getting desperate. PSP Go was a no-go so let's add a phone functionality to it and maybe it will sell. Didn't Nokia try this with the N-Gage?[/citation]

If you ask me the phone part is exactly what was missing from the PSP Go. The phone is morphing into the all-in-one mobile device, and is taking over mobile gaming. The reason I have not purchased a mobile gaming device since the original gameboy when I was 10, is because I know I would never want to carry around anything other then my phone. The N-gage was a gaming device that had a phone - no one wants that. What people want is a phone that is good at gaming - I for one think sony is on to something with this. My biggest complaint about trying to play a game on a smart phone is the controls simply suck for it.

long2know

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
I already have an EVO. I wouldn't necessarily buy the phone, but I would buy the games. An after-market attachment for the EVO to add a game controller would be helpful though.

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
No, I wouldn't buy one. If it was a PSP 2, than yes, I would. I already own a PSP and don't really see a reason to buy another. Sony is sooo close to FINALLY doing something right here. Make it a PSP 2 phone and you have an instant winner!

Simple11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
I am definitely interested in this! I HOPE it becomes available next year, I would do anything for it...even kill someone, virtually of course :D

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Interested to see how this turns out. If it were an update to the current PSP, so if it were more powerful that'd be great (although not likely).

Wait to see what some reviews think of it, perhaps.

TeKEffect

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
[citation][nom]fivewall[/nom]If you ask me the phone part is exactly what was missing from the PSP Go. The phone is morphing into the all-in-one mobile device, and is taking over mobile gaming. The reason I have not purchased a mobile gaming device since the original gameboy when I was 10, is because I know I would never want to carry around anything other then my phone. The N-gage was a gaming device that had a phone - no one wants that. What people want is a phone that is good at gaming - I for one think sony is on to something with this. My biggest complaint about trying to play a game on a smart phone is the controls simply suck for it.[/citation]

I'm with fivewall on this. I had a psp and I never brought it anywhere. I'm 26 and I'm not going to bring around some portable gaming device. Just like I dont carry an Ipod. I carry my phone (EVO) Its awesome at playing music and videos. Games are the next logical step for a phone. John Carmack just showed Rage on an iphone ( I wish he picked Android also) but it was very impressive whats being done on phone hardware. Sony screwed up with the psp go....this is they're good idea

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
WAIT...I thought only sony products that used linux were pirates?? -Sarcasm for Other os :). maybe $ony will port otheros to android so you can run windows lol.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
[citation][nom]blurr91[/nom]Sony is really getting desperate. PSP Go was a no-go so let's add a phone functionality to it and maybe it will sell. Didn't Nokia try this with the N-Gage?[/citation]
... absolutely agree...

G

This is what happens when phones stop being exactly that and start being another useless piece of technology that no one needs

Montezuma

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2008
The PSP, in any form, as been in product and use for too long. My damn phone has more general power than my PSP, which is just sad. Sony is long overdue in creating and producing a new portable gaming system(PSP2, anyone?). Of course, Sony will screw that up and not allow the PSP2 to have backwards comparability(which is what will really sell "next-generation devices) and it will take Sony many years to make the new PSP worth having.

If they are going to make a PSP/Phone, then Sony needs to wait to create a PSP2/Phone. Who is going to waste money on yet another iteration of the PSP? Ten, maybe twenty people? This phone, if made, will just be another spectacular failure.

It will end up being 2065 before the PSP2 comes out, but by that time, Sony will either have been absorbed due to massive financial failure, or Sony will end up being some cheap electronics manufacturer that is only in business to create knockoffs. Oh wait, they already are.

johnny_5

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
I like gaming, and wouldn't want to carry more than one device, but I'm not sure I'd use this. Breaks from work are too short for gaming, and I'm happy listening to music in one ear and talking as I do now. Once I start working at a new job I may start taking the train, in which case it would sound like a much better idea. The problem is there is only one PSP phone, while there are hundreds of other phones, so I may find another phone, despite lacking the great gaming, would make up for it in other ways and be a better fit for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.