Sony PSP Outsells the Nintendo 3DS in Japan

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
Nintendo really needs to work on software follow-ups, they seem to be stuck in a well of few good third party games. Though their first parties are excellent you need more.

G

The problem with Nintendo systems though is that they only work well with a certain set of game types, and those types are pretty much ruled by Nintendo itself. So 3rd Party Developers have a hard time making a game for a Nintendo system that does not compete with Nintendo's own game or just not work well because of the system it is on.

Like all those attempts at making a shooter on the Wii. None of them have done well, and while some of them were ok or maybe even good games the Wii audience just does not pick them up. But then the Wii audience usually does not buy anything that is not made by Nintendo.

G

I can't beleive the psp is outselling the 3ds as its over 6 years old, image how well the PSP2 will do.
Stride Rite Coupons

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Protip: It's Media Create

[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]The problem with Nintendo systems though is that they only work well with a certain set of game types, and those types are pretty much ruled by Nintendo itself. So 3rd Party Developers have a hard time making a game for a Nintendo system that does not compete with Nintendo's own game or just not work well because of the system it is on. Like all those attempts at making a shooter on the Wii. None of them have done well, and while some of them were ok or maybe even good games the Wii audience just does not pick them up. But then the Wii audience usually does not buy anything that is not made by Nintendo.[/citation]

Well, it isn't really Nintendo's fault if people can't make games as well as they do. It's more because most developers these days don't WANT to be creative. They just want to throw out rehashes and sequels. You can hand someone power tools, but if they don't want to learn how to use them, they'll just keep using normal tools. Shooters just aren't a genre that was meant for Wii. The graphics aren't good enough to impress FPS gamers, and the motion controls aren't precise enough to aim.

But yeah, lousy launch titles, doesn't have much to do with the device. This brings back painful memories of n64 though, a system with nice capabilities that was brought down by a limited number of titles. There's also the fact that the natural disasters that continue to pummel Japan might have them reconsidering buying expensive new systems.

Add in the number of DSi sales this week though and Sony's still behind Nintendo. I also really doubt this trend will reflect towards the US, Japan has a totally different market. One of the titles on their top 10 is for ps2. (not a typo)

kilo_17

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
Interesting news. It seems like Nintendo usually dominates the handheld market, but not this time (in Japan atleast)

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
If I am not mistaken didn't the 3DS naturally get a Japan launch before the rest of the world? I assume at launch it likely sold out and most likely continued to sell quite well after such.
So naturally sales will take what is seemingly a sudden hit eventually everyone that can't wait to have one simply will. Sales will rise again once a price drop happens and those waiting for such will snatch it then. All of this is completely normal.

[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]How are they selling anything in Japan at the moment...[/citation]

Because the Japanese are amazing people who could go through hell on Earth and still show up for work the next day. Also at this point only a certain section of Japan is currently effected by recent events.

m3kw9

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
They don't have enough good games. Also DS is still a good portable incomparison to 3DS. I think Nintendo expected this.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]Because the Japanese are amazing people who could go through hell on Earth and still show up for work the next day. Also at this point only a certain section of Japan is currently effected by recent events.[/citation]
They're not, they're just like everyone else. Unless someone plans on going hungry I don't see why anyone wouldn't go to work the next day if they're in good-working condition

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]xerroz[/nom]They're not, they're just like everyone else. Unless someone plans on going hungry I don't see why anyone wouldn't go to work the next day if they're in good-working condition[/citation]

What I am mostly pointing to is disaster hit areas in Japan. If you look within their history they are masters at recovering from such. Also you are quite incorrect some other nations/cultures
are extremely fearful and will shirk duties or even do ridiculous things do to events.

If what happened to Japan was on America instead I would have no doubt in my mind that my fellow Americans would all panic and act irrational hell they even did with the iodide pills.
I have no doubt that my fellow Americans would also begin to riot, flood airports and begin rioting there as well. Hell we are still quite irrational and overly paranoid when it comes to terrorism to this day as well.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Even though I'm more a "Nintendo fan", it's good to see the competition between Sony and Nintendo in the handheld market there. Great to see.

With the PSP still selling quite well, it's strange to think that they are releasing a successor at the end of the year.

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Okay, I'll admit I'm a grown adult and I own a Ninendo DS XL and a PSP 1000. I've also played on the new Nintendo 3DS and was impressed. The controls are great and the 3D is impressive. The thing I've found with Nintendo DS, and probably going to be the same for the 3DS is the games are for kiddos. The only game I really enjoy on the DS is super mario brothers.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
PSP has generally more fighting and superpower anime games.
Nintendo has more games aimed for kids. That market is bigger in the US, plus, americans aren't as interested in Japanese animated games, as japanese people do.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Part of this also has to do with the recent self-restraint that followed Japan's massive disaster. Nintendo publicly announced that they will not air any commercials out of respect of victims. This probably means that people don't entirely know that the 3DS is now available, while PSP has been around for 6 years already and people know that it's out there.

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Not shocked; the PSP has been outselling EVERYTHING [consoles included] in Japan for months now...

As for nintendo's lack of third party support, I blame a lot on Nintendo management; anyone remember the days of the "Nintendo Seal of Approval" or the yearly "Christmas Chip Shortages", or the "Don't you dare release on the Genesis or you'll never work with us again"?

It certainly doesn't help that Nintendo is ever wanting to protect its squeaky clean image...

Nintendo should just focus on handhelds and bow out of the console market at this point...

nisallik

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
Though I can not check at work, I've hardly ever seen the PSP outsell the DS market. Can anyone check to see what the combined DS (DSXL, DSi, 3DS, etc.) amounts to?

What is funny is that if you check these charts, you will see the PSPgo sometimes only sell a few hundred in a week. ;p

Seems like the only decent JRPGs only appear on the handhelds now, so it looks like I'll be eventually be buying the new PSP and DS.

G

After finally getting to play a 3DS the other day, i'm glad I didnt buy one, having to constantly keep that thing centered so you dont go cross eyed or get a headache, really turned me off from trying to play this thing and of course you can always turn the 3D off, but whats the point of buying one if you have to do that all the time, the AR games were pretty cool and I liked how they played, but I know I couldnt play any 3D games for more than half an hour or so before my head would kill me....I'll stick with the new DSi XL I got instead

captaincharisma

Distinguished
yet another ridiculous story. gee a new $300.00+ console gets outsold by a console that is only $130.00. i know its japan but the prices have to be pretty much the same in yen as they are here in NA

Status
Not open for further replies.