Sony: PSP SDKs May Become Free

Status
Not open for further replies.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
[citation][nom]ssalim[/nom]They forgot to mention or I should say re-iterate the difficulty of doing it. "Good luck with the programming!"[/citation]

Well Apple's Objective-C based iPhone dev. environment ain't quite the programmer's heaven you'd want either ...

At least C and OpengGL skils that PSP SDK uses are pretty common in the gaming industry compared to the rather strange Objective-C language Apple has chosen.

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]Gee! Can't this stuff be developed with open source software?[/citation]

Nah, then everyone who already knows that stuff would be able to go ahead and make apps. That's too easy.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
I just took my iphone game and got it running on the psp in 1 day with no prior psp knowledge. it looks alot better and easier for coding games than the stupid iphone with its objective c shit and crappy implementation of openGL!

also, the psp's debugger actually seems to work, you have to remember there is a good reason the apple sdk is free.. cause its buggy as hell!

and what do you mean "not having UMD would suck" ?? not having multi-minute load times will 'suck'???

and another thing, the apple sdk isn't free! you need to buy a Mac (which no self respecting coder would have) and pay $100 A YEAR, just to have your app rejected for no valid reason!

One question tho, having the sdk free is all well and good, but what about a dev kit? will we be able to use any psp as a dev kit like we do with the iphone? will there be an emulator?

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
it can't be this easy, sony finally listening to all the logic and making the sdk free? if they do make a 'free' version it will probably be crippled, making people who already make programs for psp still use the tools they developed

davisorle

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Ofc the current developers prefer this. Since the fans of Sony and loyal casual consumers will spend THAT much to buy that piece of crap one way or the other and will have lmitied about of apps compared to what it would if was with free SDK ofc tehy preffer this since they will have hundrends of times more chances to have their products purchaced as the only options. Now if I were Sony id make it free for limited time. Meaning? That would give me the right when they accept to get the tools that I can dissable them from using them for free after... maybe 6 months or so. That would give me at least some time to promote from more interested developers etc material, showcasing more and more stuff to buy online all the time in short period and by the time the fre SDK was expired Id have nough rep on the platform to force them to payfor the SDK since they will see that ppl actually DO have the PSPGo and do pay for its apps nowmore since it already became more poppular in that short period.

On the other hand, I hate Sony cause they are bloodsuckers when it comes to most of electronic departments. Not just consoles. And if they charge for NO apparent reason SO much for that piece of crap when its barely a bit cheaper than the PSPSlim, which SO LONG they weere saying about its great value due to hardware advancement and BD included, what of those does the PSPGo include ? DD THX HD Sound, 1080p and BD playback? Whats that makes it so unexcusably expensive? SO no, i dont want them progressing in the handhelds anymore till they learn to respect the consumer a bit. If they already are willing to rip ppl off so badly after all those years of practice they've been doing it they need to get a bit anal to chill and then play fair. Spoiling Sony more by supporting the Go isnt wise.

Keep in mind that all those comments i left arent based on my handheld needs yet I would respect myself too much to pay so much for that thing if I ever needed a handheld. Neither I like Apple's attitude when it comes to app store etc. Nintendo, I always respected for their strategy and fairplay but just not of my taste :)

amnotanoobie

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2006
[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]Gee! Can't this stuff be developed with open source software?[/citation]

The editor and compiler is free you could get any editor you want, the libraries aren't.

Andraxxus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
"...saying that Sony may investigate a free model."
Developer:I've just created a game for your portable
Sony:Uh hm you owe us $Zounds!(for those that still remember)
Developer:But you said it was free...
Sony:Yes the basic is free...however...you used some advanced features

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]tacoslave[/nom]whoa whoa whoa mr. parish i think you forgot the most important part of this article. "F#$% Apple!!!"[/citation]
^+1

[citation][nom]Andraxxus[/nom]"...saying that Sony may investigate a free model."Developer:I've just created a game for your portableSony:Uh hm you owe us $Zounds!(for those that still remember)Developer:But you said it was free...Sony:Yes the basic is free...however...you used some advanced features[/citation]
=D

I would rather buy a PSP over a iPhone. Not the PSPgo though, it's not as sexy as the PSP slim.
Too bad the game lineup for the PSP sucks... "hinthintityhinthint"

Uncle Meat

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
With the availability of the PlayStation Network and PSP-specific apps, the new console could cause quite a stir if Sony falls through with a free SDK.

I think you mean "comes through".

"falls through" means "is unsuccessful".

G

I would love for Sony to get their heads out of the sand and create a psp 4000 with 2 analog sticks with the ability to be l2,r2 also so that we can get even better FPS games for the PSP. That is all not this psp go crap with an analog stick in the middle of the controler.

and from their comments they wont add one because they like how companies are developing games (FPS) around the lack of 2 analog sticks. No offense sony best thing to happen to FPS games was the analog stick, its like trying to play golden eye now with c buttons its not fun or invintive its backwards. it was fun at the time but now theres new tech that makes it even more fun. Get with the times sony.

Status
Not open for further replies.