Sony Reveals SD Cards (R.I.P. Memory Stick?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

footsoldier

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
Well, with SD cards available to sony products. I see no point to buy a more exp, identical functionality of memory stick. imo, memory sticks will soon be gone frm the market.

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
[citation][nom]footsoldier[/nom]Well, with SD cards available to sony products. I see no point to buy a more exp, identical functionality of memory stick. imo, memory sticks will soon be gone frm the market.[/citation]
Nah Sony will still require them in current and near future devices. Then (hopefully) they will slowly phase out the memory sticks.

jsc

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
The memory stick was just what the world needed - another proprietary storage device.

I'm in almost the same situation. I have an upper end Olympus point 'n shoot. I like everything about it except the xD flash memory that no one else but Fuji apparently uses.

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
Memory Stick pro duo, umd, bluray, betamax, those are the reasons I have never bought Sony anything. They make it real easy for me to say nope. Never a ps1,ps2,or a ps3. Nintendo 64, xbox, xbox 360. Sony could have a machine that allows me to game by raytracing, still wont buy it.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I bought a new digital camera for my wife this past Christmas. I found a Sony model that I liked but I would not buy it because of their stupid memory cards, so they lost a sale.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]thackstonns[/nom]Memory Stick pro duo, umd, bluray, betamax, those are the reasons I have never bought Sony anything. They make it real easy for me to say nope. Never a ps1,ps2,or a ps3. Nintendo 64, xbox, xbox 360. Sony could have a machine that allows me to game by raytracing, still wont buy it.[/citation]
Sony actually makes some great hardware.
However, they are quite full of themselves. (Let us use the full potential of our damned PSP's already!)

Too many vairants.
memory stick duo, pro duo, micro, SD card and the dozen others etc.
Give us a damned standard already!

longerlife

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
I was just looking into micro sdhc adaptors that can turn them into a pro duo, in fact there is an adaptor that can turn two micro sdhc's into a single pro duo (and still come out much cheaper than the equivalent). Aparently works well in the PSP.....

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]thackstonns[/nom]Memory Stick pro duo, umd, bluray, betamax, those are the reasons I have never bought Sony anything. They make it real easy for me to say nope. Never a ps1,ps2,or a ps3. Nintendo 64, xbox, xbox 360. Sony could have a machine that allows me to game by raytracing, still wont buy it.[/citation]

For storage mediums, yes, Sony has a bad track record. Their hardware is still good though. I don't think Blu-Ray will be another betamax but I think Sony's going to find that DD will take over sooner than they expected.

IMO they're going to see two years of growth followed by rapid decline in physical disk sales. Much like iTunes did to the CD, DVD's and Blu-Ray sales are going to tank.

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
I have a NetMD mini-disk player. I really really liked it. No skips, no scratches, it was its own disc burner, ran on a single AA for almost a week of regular use and at the time it was cheaper to buy a pack of blanks than buy an MP3 player with equivalent storage capacity. It was smaller and tougher than portable CD players and you cold carry your whole collection around in a case of minidisks, with pocket space to spare. There was a lot to like.
Their proprietary software for putting music on the device sucks. Horribly. This is pretty much the universal opinion. And putting mp3s on it was convoluted and lossy (had to convert from mp3 to Sony's format, THEN load it onto a MD...). Then there's no support in my non-Windows laptop, which can rip CDs just fine thanks. Finally, MP3 players with flash storage just got cheap enough that I didn't have to put up with Sony's bullshit anymore.

Thing is, if they had let the system open up a bit I might still be using it. Sony needs to quit shooting themselves in the foot trying to tie everything to their own formats.

gilbertfh

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
Sony and I have a love/hate relationship. I love the products and I hate their customer service and business practices. One example is I bought a new Sony VAIO computer 7 months later it stopped functioning (bad mobo). I had registered it and taken care of everything as soon as I purchased it so I figured I was safe. When I contacted them they wanted to see the origional receipt because the warranty started the date of manufacture otherwise. Well it had been sitting on the shelf for a few months before I bought it I guess and so when I went to claim the warranty it was expired. Sony makes it a practice to not sell hardware for their computers like motherboards and for me to get it fixed I would have to send it in. They wanted to charge me $600+ shipping to fix a computer that should have been under warranty. Pretty frustrating to say the least. Morale of the story buy your Sony products and love your Sony products but don't ever ever lose your receipt :).

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
You, guys, don't get the whole picture. I bet Sony would gladly kill MS card market, not to do unpleasant choices, whether to support only MS cards and lose customers who hate memory sticks or to support both MS and SD = spend more money on hardware.

Saying "we kill memory sticks" would anger most loyal customers, who might have invested money into memory sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.