Sony Says Fake PS3 Controllers Could Explode

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
this is just another stunt by $ony to stop people from buying cheap reliable controls instead of $onys overpriced pieces of shit

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Man, Tom's has had like 10 ps3 articles in the last month. How much dough is $ony throwing at ya??? wii and 360 have news too ya know :).Never mind buying a cheap controller, pay the 50 bucks, they run off plutonium it seems because I think in the last 4 years I may have charged the controllers 6 times lol.

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
This is meant to be a sneaky excuse as in why with the latest patch their cripled our PS3 even more just to avoid piracy. After the last patch which made useless Ks if not millions of peripherals for PS3 owners I actually am hoping they fully break PS3's security to the point that Sony has no way of keeping pirates out of it.

Sony didnt have the right form day one to take away our console capabilities just to prove a point against piracy.

ronch79

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
At least you can't blame the exploding controller.. after all, it's fake.

But if you shell out big bucks to buy an *original* Sony battery that explodes, well, that's inexcusable.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Manos[/nom]This is meant to be a sneaky excuse as in why with the latest patch their cripled our PS3 even more just to avoid piracy. After the last patch which made useless Ks if not millions of peripherals for PS3 owners I actually am hoping they fully break PS3's security to the point that Sony has no way of keeping pirates out of it.Sony didnt have the right form day one to take away our console capabilities just to prove a point against piracy.[/citation]

sadly they do. the system may as well be a licensing agreement that "you get to play ps3 games as long as we want you to and be fucking happy that you get that. we can and will take functionality away when we see fit. "

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
let me ask one simple question?

if they could explode

they wouldnt pass testing from 3rd party companies and therefore be illegal to sell

think about it, are car companies allowed to sell cars that can explode when you turn the key

of course not becasue it wont pass things like the british standards and other tests which need to be completed before they can be sold

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
The reason Sony suddenly announced about the controllers is because they in the sidelines made modifications to their latest firmware to block other USB devices. Like the PS3Groove.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
So basically this update ups the power PS3 ports deliver thus making them non complaint and frying devices that don't have the upper tolerance and all this just to stop people from buying un-official PS3 controllers. They are also breaking compatibility with USB devices that work just fine without it. Great.

Just another update to make your PS3 less useful. Good job Sony. I love how you treat your customers. Things like this periodically remind me not to buy your PS3.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]shanky887614[/nom]let me ask one simple question?if they could explodethey wouldnt pass testing from 3rd party companies and therefore be illegal to sellthink about it, are car companies allowed to sell cars that can explode when you turn the keyof course not becasue it wont pass things like the british standards and other tests which need to be completed before they can be sold[/citation]

you never heard of bootlegs have you? counterfeits? same rules dont apply to them

mosz

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
People do not read the whole article before posting i guess. It says "counterfeits" not third party companies like mad catz. Its like you go buy a fake Rolex and then the rolex logo falls off, you cant send it to rolex because its not under warranty. READ and UNDERSTAND what the article is trying to tell you. This also happen a few days ago. The artcle said a New Jersey "transit train", and peole were asking why anyone would just hang aroung train tracks.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
Actually, the batteries of knockoff controllers could ignite... Anyway, I think that Sony is just trying to lock the jailbreak of it's system, nothing else..

G

Counterfeit products are generally not made to any proper standards as they cannot register with authorities and official testing labs. Over the past few years we have had ample experience of burning batteries and exploding and leaking batteries, even in tested high quality products. Therefore while it may be for a self serving purpose it is clear that a warning regarding explosion etc is a valid one.

Furthermore as mosz said above me, this is not talking about officially sanctioned 3'rd party controllers, only fakes that pretend to be official Sony controllers.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Sony+DRM = FAIL
Sony+hardware DRM = FAIL X 2

is sony trying to say the taliban made the knock off controllers, and if you play an american soldier in certain games you will literally explode? they would have better luck using that lie

i bet sony also says pirated dvd's or cd will spin out of control and burst into hundreds of pieces and go flying about like shurikens.

Sony doesn't even have an iClue.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]liveonc[/nom]More exposure, fear, & reasons! $ loss in earnings = $ spent in hype & no-no's. They're dangerous, built by slaves, allergenic materials used, non bio-degradable, can't be recycled, fund terrorism, & is owned by Osama. ;-)[/citation]

Where can I pick one up? Make that 4.

Zuesacoatl

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2008
It is funny on how many idiots still post after seeing at least 2 other posts correcting them that Sony states counterfeits of Sony or Sony Licensed products(i.e. Madcatz) not third party vendors. Now for those idiots that continued to post after the first correction, why do you feel the need to continue to spew idiotic diatribe when you have read previous corrections, or did you even read the article and replies to it? Ignorance is bliss, unless someone decides to post it on a news site, than it is just annoying.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I also heard that these fake controllers can also spontaneously create black holes and suck you in. Also, they will kill everyone you know and love in their sleep and pour sugar in your gas tank while cutting your brake lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS