Sony Says the PSP2 Won't Be Unaffordable

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
If they want the new PSP to compete with Apple's iPod Touch (which has gained considerable portable gaming market share), they will price it right at or below $300. The problem is that it seems there is some pretty expensive tech in that device, so I don't know if it is cost-effective for them to only charge $275-$300.

jcb82

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
I just don't see how anyone will buy a portable device for gaming if they have a powerful all in one device that will do everything. Its true smartphones are jack-of-all-trades devices but these days they're coming with enough "beef" to satisfy most users. I just don't see myself owning a smartphone like an iPhone and buying a PSP2.
Although, as a whole, Sony is covering its bases with the Playstation certified licensing system for Android smartphones, I just don't see how the PSP2 will fit into that ecosystem. E.g. if someone owns an iPhone4 and a PS3, what need will the PSP2 be filling? I just don't see the value proposition.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Unaffordable means that people "cannot afford" it.

Affordable means people "can afford" it.

However if you ask me, saying it's affordable is much more positive. Saying it won't be "unaffordable" tells me it's going to be quite expensive, but still low enough that a couple people can buy it.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]neo_aeon666[/nom]I would go up to 349.99$PsPs are usually not that bad to buy when they come out. I still have a 1000 Model and it is still very comparable to 3000... But I will wait for the 3ds light or 3ds i XL light Micro before jumping on the 3DS boat. People are talking about very bad battery life in 3D mode and much lower frame-rate.And I learned my lesson with the first DS model. God when DS Light came out I was pissed it was so much better and you could actually see stuff thx to brighter screens and even better battery life lol... Felt ripped off.My advice wait 6 months for a 3ds light with better everything to come out. And buy PSP whenever you see fit because it probably will stay good till the end.[/citation]
ds lite came out 1 1/2 - 2 years after the initial ds launch. and yeah it was worth the wait, lotsa games were out by then

[citation][nom]NeBuN[/nom]battery life? i bet you that it won't last more than 30 min[/citation]
already confirmed it will last as long as the original PSP, which isn't that great, but it's not worse either

G

Given the original price of the PS3 I'm a bit weary of Sony's concept of "affordable".

sdedalus83

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
$0. A portable media device that can't be used outdoors on a sunny day is worthless.

Ditch the overrated OLED panel for a matte finish, daylight readable FFS display. Then I'd probably be willing to spend $300 if it's locked down with no real OS, or up to $450 if it runs fully functional Android or Meego.

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Everything is affordable... if you have the money.
I'm expecting it to be more than the 3DS, hopefully not too much more.
Sony will probably do the same thing they did with the PS3 and turn a loss to begin with.

mvalles19

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Being a gamer my entire life. I own virtually ever hand-held game since 1980 starting with the Nintendo Game and Watch system. While the mobile gaming technology has gotten better over the years I find it harder and harder to buy one for reasons other then me being a collector. With the price exceeding the PS3 and the battery life being on par with the PSP1 it does not seem realistic. With the capabilities of today's smart phones if you own a PS3 for the home, a smart phone for the road and have a decent laptop for your end destination what does the PSP2 serve? IMO if the PSP2 is the only system you own then it will be worth the price.

freshnbaked

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
Quad core means

net-flix
PS3 graphics
wireless broadcasting
Hi-Def Camera/Recorder
and other goodies with a quad core power.
Maybe a OS!!!!!

basically a small I-Pad

I would see 399-450 a reasonable starting cost with specials for Wi-fi plans for 500 out the door. Expensive but it'll sell.

dirgle

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
[citation]SCE WWS boss Shuhei Yoshida said. “Hopefully when we announce the price, people will see the proper value.”[/citation]

This is the line that should be seen as most dangerous. When the PS3 first came out the build cost was estimated at $841 for the 60GB unit. But Sony was only going to charge the consumer $599. Sony seemed a little confused when people couldn't see the incredible value this was.

Apparently they are hopeful this time, though I doubt the PSP2 will fair any better if Sony is still using the same metric for proper value.

The amount that is considered expensive is determined by your target market,(youth, teens, young adults, working class, apple fan boys, rappers) and not so much by the cost of materials, when it actually comes to putting money down.

G

similar if not better than current gen ipod touches, I think it's worth £300 but I personally would be willing to pay half that; the features are certainly impressive!

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]ekimgnaw[/nom]I'm expecting iPod Touch (300+) prices possibly even iPad prices (400+). >.<Unfortunately, I don't think OLED screens come cheap.[/citation]
actually oleds are EXTREMELY cheap. i believe once you have the whole manufacturing process set up, the screens cost next to nothing to produce.

the reason they arent cheap yet, is price gouging, to put it simply. they have an a screen that can be thinner than a piece of paper, uses relitivly little power, and is "new". so they jack those prices WAY the hell up.

with a mass produced psp, the screen price will be negligible.
[citation][nom]touchdowntexas13[/nom]If they want the new PSP to compete with Apple's iPod Touch (which has gained considerable portable gaming market share), they will price it right at or below $300. The problem is that it seems there is some pretty expensive tech in that device, so I don't know if it is cost-effective for them to only charge $275-$300.[/citation]

i would pay 1-200$ more for an ipod with REAL controls, if they offered it and it was supported by the developers. so realistically, id pay 450$ for this. but i want to see what happens with this, will the games be 60$ each, will the games be anything but scaled down console ports (the vids i seen, wow, do the games look good).

im also waiting on it to be hacked. as i enjoyed more of the homebrew applications for the psp than the actual games. [citation][nom]jcb82[/nom]I just don't see how anyone will buy a portable device for gaming if they have a powerful all in one device that will do everything. Its true smartphones are jack-of-all-trades devices but these days they're coming with enough "beef" to satisfy most users. I just don't see myself owning a smartphone like an iPhone and buying a PSP2. Although, as a whole, Sony is covering its bases with the Playstation certified licensing system for Android smartphones, I just don't see how the PSP2 will fit into that ecosystem. E.g. if someone owns an iPhone4 and a PS3, what need will the PSP2 be filling? I just don't see the value proposition.[/citation]

i hate phones, and refuse to buy one, ever. im 23 and still have no need for one.

[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]ds lite came out 1 1/2 - 2 years after the initial ds launch. and yeah it was worth the wait, lotsa games were out by thenalready confirmed it will last as long as the original PSP, which isn't that great, but it's not worse either[/citation]

i have giant hands, i prefer the original xbox controller to the smaller one, i like the original ds too. sadly when i got one all they have is the dslite, to put it in prespective, when i hold the dslite with one hand, you almost cant see the thing at all, you try it, with a gba game in it. can you still see the system?

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]dirgle[/nom][citation]SCE WWS boss Shuhei Yoshida said. “Hopefully when we announce the price, people will see the proper value.”[/citation]This is the line that should be seen as most dangerous. When the PS3 first came out the build cost was estimated at $841 for the 60GB unit. But Sony was only going to charge the consumer $599. Sony seemed a little confused when people couldn't see the incredible value this was.Apparently they are hopeful this time, though I doubt the PSP2 will fair any better if Sony is still using the same metric for proper value.The amount that is considered expensive is determined by your target market,(youth, teens, young adults, working class, apple fan boys, rappers) and not so much by the cost of materials, when it actually comes to putting money down.[/citation]

is that factoring in the cost of blu ray? not the cost to make it but the cost of a stand alone player?

Status
Not open for further replies.