Sony Says the PSP2 Won't Be Unaffordable

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

PSP2 (sounds better than NGP) will definitely be a trendsetter.

Here you go: PSP2 SECRETS!
http://www.edepot.com/playstation.html

While you drool over the details, don't forget to ask the right questions...

Is it using Pentile Matrix OLED?
Is the battery removable?
Does it vibrate?

Yes, Sony never answered those questions, and you should ask them now!

dirgle

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]And somehow the PS3 is a failure? While its in 3rd place, there are 45million PS3s on the market, 5 million behind the 360. Does that mean 4 years ago, when there were under 20 million units for each of them - that they were failures? NO.The PS3, like the 360 were originally sold at a loss. The PS3 hit the market 1 year after the 360 and MS had already done a price drop to $400 for the 20GB model. Meanwhile, the 360 was rushed to market in order to capture market share... which is good and bad. GOOD: it gave MS a 7 Million unit head start. A whole 12 month Christmas season.BAD: Low quality parts, design defects in the board and cooling system that took YEARS to show up and to fix. How many "suckers" have replaced their 360's 3~6 times?So during this time, the 360 came and went with HD-DVD - which is an ugly add-on. The built in DVD drive is NOISY. Currently, there are 5 or so Cooling system add-ons for the old 360. These were needed more in the old days.Value, the PS3 always had more value over the 360. What MS countered with is the $300 HD-LESS 360, which in the real world.. how many PEOPLE actually use such a configuration before pulling out their hair and dropping $80~130 for the HD upgrade?So... lets go back to NOV 2006.PS3-20GB = $500. It was the cheapest bluray player on the market. It was a double-sided attack to defeat HD-DVD (success), create a new format (success), make piracy difficult (success) and provide a quiet and large medium to store games. It takes at least 6 double-layered DVDs to equal a single DL BlueRay disc. How many 360 games had to be reduced or spread across many discs? Unlike the 360, the PS3 is a home entertainment system, which MS has just recently claimed (yet 5 years ago, MS said 360 was pure gaming). Where is the bluRay for the 360? For $500, the user got a complete system, no silly power brick, wireless, user upgradeable HD to at least 500GB, backup system, wireless controllers etc.360-20GB = $400. For a pure gaming system, it WAS cheaper... the controllers were wired back then, and if you needed wireless networking, you lose a USB port and $100. If you wanted HD-DVD, that was another $200. If you wanted the 60GB upgrade, that was $120. Total price: $820+ And if you add your $60 a year Gold membership x 5 years ($300) = $1120+ About double over the cost of a PS3.And when you got your RROD... well, thats time and energy spent getting your unit replaced.HD-DVD is dead. But theres more to that in the background. You see, HD-DVD's GUI control was developed by (drum roll)... Microsoft. So a reason MS doesn't want BluRay on their consoles today is because (A) they would be paying SONY $$$ for it, (B) SONY software would be required to be installed (C) it would add $100 to the price of a Xbox360.As of today, the bottom end PS3 is $300, includes a bluRay player. It has a 160GB HD - but hey.. $350 model PS3 has a 320GB unit or buy your own 500GB drive for $60 and put it in yourself. The price of putting in a 500GB HD into a 360 is... oh wait, can't do that... nevermind. But they'll sell you the 250GB drive for $130 for those poor people who bought the HD-less 360-Slim.There is a market for all 3 consoles. Teens will mostly gravitate to the 360 more than the adults.[/citation]

Settle down, nowhere did I say the PS3 was a failure, I even bought the PS3 when it first came out. The point I was trying to make was that even if Sony is trying to say the PSP2 will be affordable, I wouldn't get my hopes up for anything short of very expensive when the device first comes out. The price will eventually come down, and I'm sure Sony will sell a boat load.

Obviously with the way you're defending the price of the PS3, you're one of the people who see the "proper value" that Sony was talking about. But many people will not see it that way, for most it will be just pain expensive no matter what cutting edge features they get. And like it or not you still need to get those people to buy your device to be successful. I may have gotten a lot of cool features when I bought the PS3 but I still put down six hundred dollar bills. There is a considerable amount of other things one could do with that kind of money.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
I can see this device filling a certain niche quite excellently.

Got an Android phone? Ever tried to play an emulator on it with the touch screen? Didn't work too well, did it? But your only alternative was to drag around a Wiimote and classic controller.

Well here you go, now you get an Android phone with actual gaming controls for actual games. Totally worth 400+, because this isn't a handheld console, it's a smartphone with game controls. Take it or leave it, but this is the "all in one" type device everyone whines about. This device isn't competing with 3DS, it's competing with smartphones, and you can expect that kind of pricing.

If Sony is smart, they'll set up contracts through cell providers allowing them to give the phone away with two year contracts like other phones. All of a sudden, PSP2 is 50 dollars (with a two year commitment), much cheaper than a 3DS

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]dirgle[/nom]Settle down, nowhere did I say the PS3 was a failure, [/citation]

Did you have to quote my whole post? ;)
If the PSP2 is $50~75 more over the 3Ds, its not unreasonable considering the hardware. But agreed, it will have a harder time selling than if it was $200, but its obviously much more powerful and costly then the PSP 1000 / 3000. I think the original PSP was $250. Betcha Nintendo sells a lot more DSLite more than anything else because its $125 new. $200+ consoles are not for little kids.

[citation][nom]dirgle[/nom]
Obviously with the way you're defending the price of the PS3, you're one of the people who see the "proper value" that Sony was talking about.[/citation]

And I don't even own a PS3... yet. I spend more $$$ going out, dating girls and more. Maybe this year, I'll drop $400 on the MOVE bundle. When I spend $ on anything, I look at value and performance... doesn't mean I get the winner. Amiga over PC/MAC, why? It had games, multi-tasking and costs less.

[citation][nom]dirgle[/nom]And like it or not you still need to get those people to buy your device to be successful. I may have gotten a lot of cool features when I bought the PS3 but I still put down six hundred dollar bills. There is a considerable amount of other things one could do with that kind of money.[/citation]

And yet the people did buy the PS3 and even the PSP, both are solid products. You also thought it was worth $600 when you bought yours. I don't even own a bluray player yet. So when I do get the PS3, its actually $150 or so I am not spending on a dedicated BluRay player and therefor, cheaper than Xbox360 and the Wii.

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
I wouldn't pay more than 250, otherwise I would prefer to pay for a whole freakin console.All of those features, 3g, wifi, bluetooth,GPS and,the battery, how is it supposed to support it and being Sony,worse.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
You can't usually play with your PS3 while on a plane or subway. You cant bring it to work if you want to play with something during your lunch break.

With your logic, why have notebook computers?

damian86

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Thas's why, for god sake, because this is a console and it will be a console not a computer. They far expect too much from it so people would just go running to spend whatever it costs..Want a GPS? Want 3G? Get a bloddy notebook in that case,more confortable.

Have a look at the PSP phone,it's a joke.

smokem420

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2011
I wouldnt pay a cent for it. It is going to be hyped to no end and the price is going to be huge. How can I go from a 30 inch monitor to 5 inches? Its like some women say once you go big you cant go back

messvrum

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2010
“Hopefully when we announce the price, people will see the proper value.”

I'd say the PSP2 will set you back at least 399$.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]CoryInJapan[/nom]haha more then 200 bucks these day with the ecomy down and my job being shysters on giving out hours...No way jose...I need a New cam...and a Car..so Ill wait a year after ts release.[/citation]
and English and typing lessons...

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Quad GPU? Since I'm guessing it's all in the same die I wonder if it's more like a SGX543MP4 with 4 blocks with shaders, geometry, and what not. That makes more sense than making 4 separate GPUs that will have the extra CPU overhead of doing scissoring, tiling, or alternate frame rendering, while each still needing their own frame buffer, because that would be pretty stupid. Needing 4 sets of RAM for each GPU would certainly increase the cost. Just sayin

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
$150 would be fair game imho. It doesn't look so impressive to me. And especially after the failure of the PSP Go which I knew from even before they even launched that crummy product it would fail. And afterward it was too inflated in price.

With all the stuff I have already including the PSP 1000, I'd pay I dunno $75 for this. And I am being realistic. I just don't need a PSP2.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
The affordable is relative....and I hate the word alternative...
I dunno man...quadcore gadget with GPS, WIfi and other stuff...it sounds expensive...
My prediction it will be around USD450-600....
I dunno if people will buy that with such price..

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
[citation][nom]dirgle[/nom]Settle down, nowhere did I say the PS3 was a failure, [/citation]

Dont settle down... I'll say it.

PS3 is a failure! Blueray is a failure!

Status
Not open for further replies.