Sony Staffer Accidentally Retweets Jailbreak Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Nice. Hopefully he won't be out of a job tomorrow.

In my opinion Sony went at the PS3 100% wrong (including price, PS3 Move, etc.). You can't sell a product and claim that it has the ability to install Linux and then take that feature away from customers a few updates later. That just makes customers want to jailbreak your product even more.

Almost parallel to what Apple is doing with iOS devices. People seemed to expect the ability to have Flash to be installed (since it is essentially part of the internet experience), and once people found out that it wouldn't be available, people wanted to jailbreak the iOS devices even more.

krazywhiteguy310

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
this is actually the HMAC Dongle Master Key,which was discovered long time ago when the PS3 Service JIG's appeared. has nothing to do with metldr key

officeguy

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
This guys doesn't even know how to spell "Let Me". I know this is off the subject but it really bugs me. Are we getting that lazy that we can't type out simple words!!

chick0n

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
take Linux away is wrong blah blah blah.

99% of the people don't give a shit about it. the 1%? whine all you want.

Funny thing is even people who "does NOT" have Ps3 bitch about it, when I have 2 I don't say a word.

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
[citation][nom]officeguy[/nom]This guys doesn't even know how to spell "Let Me". I know this is off the subject but it really bugs me. Are we getting that lazy that we can't type out simple words!![/citation]

Lemme guess, you didn't realize that Lemme takes about the same amount of keystrokes as "Let Me" I mean it isn't a matter of laziness. He wasn't trying to be serious.

korsen

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
um, you dont want to fuck with linux people. that 1 percent is the percent that breaks all the stuff for everybody.

I thank you 1%, for freeing me. *bow*

rhino13

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
This guy doesn't even work for Sony. I just don't get why this is news.

It's like sombody got rick rolled and we need to post it on Toms!

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]chick0n[/nom]take Linux away is wrong blah blah blah.99% of the people don't give a shit about it. the 1%? whine all you want.Funny thing is even people who "does NOT" have Ps3 bitch about it, when I have 2 I don't say a word.[/citation]

Seeing your defense standpoint and the fact that you own two PS3s, it's safe to say you're a fanboy. Say it ain't so but my four+ year old computer can do just about everything the PS3 can and more (to make up for the crappy games that aren't published on the PC).

G

I feel bad for some of these jokers. When we break something, it's on our own time and with our skills. We do this primarily because people don't even know what they want until we present it to them. Once they are presented with the choice, they marvel and wonder how we did that for a second then go back to eating their potato chips. Regardless, they want our "enhancements". Imagine for example, your phone was capable of wireless tethering. We are talking the hardware and the OS. Now imagine a company manually disabling that feature so they can charge you $30 more a month for the service. Its called Sprint EVO... Oh well. What do we know?You wouldn't ever want to get the full functionallity out of your device for free... I think I'll quit and make you pay full price for everything... LOL

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
It'd be interesting if some people brought a legal challenge against Sony for their work: the mandatory firmware updates could potentially be construed as Sony flagrantly violating the owner's rights under trademark law, namely their rights under the "first-sale doctrine." We'd probably also see probably just how large "1% of PS3 owners" really is; I have the impression it's more than the 479,000 it'd have to be in order to be only 1%. Those who make such claims seem to be just trying to blindly defend Sony, even at the expense of those who enjoy Sony's products. My guess? I'd say around 12%, which, to put it into perspective, is more than the 11.5%, or 5.5 million that own Gran Turismo 5.

That's right, folks, if you buy a PS3, you own it; not Sony. Sony has no grounds to dictate how you dispose of (use) the console once you've purchased it. They can't tell you you're not allowed to re-sell it, they can't make it illegal to jailbreak/mod/hack it, etc. All you're prevented from doing is violating their patent, which simply means you're not allowed to reverse-engineer their designs and try and clone it. (note that copyrights are SLIGHTLY more restrictive on the purchaser, but most of the rights/freedoms granted under the FSD still apply)

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
The Problem with that logic: Sony has a big legal team & the average player does not.
IF people really don't like what Sony is doing, then sell your PS3, PSP & all other things made by them, then go out and buy a competitors products along with a nice little note to Sony stating so...

MS isn't much better..... They updated their "Terms and Conditions" which leaves you with no rights at all. Just so you can play online. You don't have an option to reject them if you want to play any multiplayer games.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
I wonder how all the fanboys will feel if lg wins the patent dispute and a firmware update is pushed;disabling the blu-ray. Somehow if the table was turned and something THEY used was taken away it would be different.....

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
i don't give an iCr@pple about un upgradeable obsolete hardware.
ps3 is 2007 tech. 4 year old dead hardware, only thing it's good for now is letting the children beat on it or playing their kiddie movies

G

The power of retweets strikes again. I saw this spread like crazy on retweettrader.com

Status
Not open for further replies.