Sony Still Losing Money on Each PS3 Sold

Status
Not open for further replies.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
In curiosity, I popped on Newegg to see what a PS3 costs nowadays. "Your Price:$389.99" for the 80GB "Core Pack".

*makes a face*

And apparently Sony's still losing money, huh? Its a good thing that you can't just put a 60 dollar videocard in a cheap Core2 based system and play most of the same games... -wait, you can. Damn this thing sucks!

IronRyan21

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
It was a gamble on sonys part. Thinking that a more expensive, flashy console is what ppl want. We just wanted a motion sensor device thats all, sony.

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
I admire the cell masterpiece sony created
But they should have taken competitive opponents into consideration
A whole study should have been made regarding the simple minded people that thinks the color of some game is better than some other game.
By the way... Who thought that wii could ever win the console war??

At least sony put some effort into their console rather than creating what may be considered a side kick PC with lots of errors and manufacturing problems.

ahmshaegar

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
@japnoise99: I get what you're implying, and I don't exactly like it... but then I remember that not only is the PS2 outselling the PS3, it also makes Sony money on each console sold!

chuenl

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
This is an expected course of action when they decided to put blu-ray in the game machine hoping that they can beat out the competition by destroying HD-DVD and XBox. Things have come full circle.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Sony's bigger deal with the PS3 was to use it to push Blu-ray and look, they won! For every dollar they lose on the PS3, they'll make 10-100 times that money back on blu-ray licenses alone over the next ten years. Chances are Sony would have lost the format war if it hadn't of been for the PS3. Honestly, I doubt Sony is really that bothered that their console's got the weakest sales. Blu-ray sales is where the money's at.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]spanky deluxe[/nom]Sony's bigger deal with the PS3 was to use it to push Blu-ray and look, they won! For every dollar they lose on the PS3, they'll make 10-100 times that money back on blu-ray licenses alone over the next ten years.[/citation]

Yea Blu-ray is so winning, I mean it's not like Sony just lost 3 billion dollars... Oh wait. Not to mention it seems media will most likely move towards digital distribution. And Blu-ray is still not catching on like Sony needs it too.

Sony is quite worried that their cash cow is now probably the main reason for their lost of 3 billion dollars.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
Firstly, their loss was £1.7 billion dollars, not 3 billion. That's not why Sony's just made a loss. Sony's made such a big loss because of the effect the current global financial crisis has had on exchange rates. Since 80% of Sony's business comes from overseas buyers, they've been seriously affected by the strong value of the Japanese Yen due to all the problems economies are having in Europe and North America.

Digital distributions isn't picking up nearly as fast as people thought for video needs - especially top quality high definition video. The age of high definition digital distribution by the masses likely won't be here yet for at least 5-10 years. Broadband speeds are increasing too slowly and ISPs are imposing too many download limits for it to really take off.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
How about just making the damn thing easier to develope for by assisting devs more with middleware or specialized tools. That is something that Microsoft hit dead on and it paid off for them. Instead of spending time on crap like Home.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
Blueray is not going to overcome DVD sales anytime soon so your argument about that is off base. DVD is not a high def format and the Blueray players only recently came down to a price that was easier for people to justify. Nevermind the fact that allot of people still do not have a 1080p capable tv. Most people still have 1080i tv's. That combined with the price of the blue ray disc's itself. 29.00 bucks for a movie. It is still a tough sell for allot of people. Also, you can hardly see the difference on TV's below 42 inches.

Zagen30

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2008
Funny thing is, I've never heard Sony-exclusive developers complain that PS3 development is too hard. It's only the huge companies who don't want to spend the extra time and effort to actually get to know the hardware who complain because it means less profits for them. The crack at Home doesn't make much sense- it's not like there's only one team of developers at Sony. Kind of like that stupid I'm a Mac/I'm a PC ad that suggested that Microsoft spent all their money on advertisements- as if Microsoft can't spend a lot on ads and software development.

1080i and 720p are still hi-def; you don't need a 1080p screen to get a hi-def experience (although certainly 1080p looks the best out of anything). You sub-42-inch statement is true for the 720p/1080p difference, not the standard-def/hi-def difference.

ahmshaegar

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
lol sparky. Read that again.

"Firstly, their loss was £1.7 billion dollars, not 3 billion."

1.7 billion pounds dollars? Anyway, 1.7 billion British pounds is about 2.6 billion USD, so his figure of 3 billion USD is not too far off the mark.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
So what if I was off by 2 billion, they STILL lost a billion. Despite all your talk about Blu-ray winning. And yes the strong Yen is hurting Sony, like it is all Japanese companies. But considering how there are plenty of other companies making big profits anyway, that is not the main cause for their lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.