Sony Takes the Wrap Off NGP Games on Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nesto1000

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2010
I really dislike touching the screen like that...

What if I like to game while in bed facing the celing? If I have to tilt it's gonna be a pain in the ass and it might not even work!

Oh well, either way I'm too old for hand held gaming systems anyways...

theshonen8899

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
[citation][nom]nesto1000[/nom]I really dislike touching the screen like that...What if I like to game while in bed facing the celing? If I have to tilt it's gonna be a pain in the ass and it might not even work!Oh well, either way I'm too old for hand held gaming systems anyways...[/citation]

Depends what game you're playing. In Uncharted all of the touch controls are optional. I'm sure there are settings that can disable the gyroscope as well, seeing as how the game is so similar to the PS3 version.

runt23

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
Gyroscopes can be calibrated, and most games offer in game calibration. For example, if one was to lay on their back, they can calibrate center/down level while the device is upside down. Its orientation would be as such now. Not really an issue to be honest =)

dj1001

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009
notice how it was plugged in in all the shots. I bet battery life is less than 2 hours. with all that horsepower even modern mobile battery technology doesn't stand a chance.

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
@dj1001

I'm pretty sure that Sony isn't retarded. I have no doubt that when they release the NGP it'll have at least 4-5 hours of battery life, if not more. As technology advances, it uses less power. Especially mobile platforms which have an extremely limited thermal envelope.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
@PudyChicken - their recent actions suggest otherwise. Still you're right, the NGP has to be designed with battery life in mind and Sony would not overlook that.

Anyway, meh. I admit it does look interesting, but since I use my PC mainly and my tablet for casual portable gaming this doesn't really interest me. Still, probably a cool thing for the teens

Aionism

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Kahless01[/nom]Tell that to the cellphones that dont last 3 hours of constant use while my original gameboy lasted damn near 2 days.[/citation]
I've seen a lot of terrible comparisons between new and old products but this has to be the worst yet.

pwrntspd

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
I think ill get this over a tablet...its got all the bells and whistles and will still cost less than a typical tablet.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]PudgyChicken[/nom]@dj1001I'm pretty sure that Sony isn't retarded. I have no doubt that when they release the NGP it'll have at least 4-5 hours of battery life, if not more. As technology advances, it uses less power. Especially mobile platforms which have an extremely limited thermal envelope.[/citation]
the 3ds says hello

man, a lot of uneducated people here on toms today.

hopefully it lasts longer than the psp, but i wouldn't be surprised if it didn't. either way, i don't see myself carrying this thing out of the house, way too big.

orochi8

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
Is it absolutely necessary to use the exact same acronym as the Neo Geo Pocket? I know its a dead system, but you'd think they might at least make an effort. Calling this thing the NGP is pretty much the same thing as calling it the DSi and then just claiming that it stands for Digital Sony instrument or something. Sure, we all know what they're talking about, but it doesn't change the fact that there is already a portable with the name DSi floating around out there.

1mic

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
[citation][nom]orochi8[/nom]Is it absolutely necessary to use the exact same acronym as the Neo Geo Pocket? I know its a dead system, but you'd think they might at least make an effort. Calling this thing the NGP is pretty much the same thing as calling it the DSi and then just claiming that it stands for Digital Sony instrument or something. Sure, we all know what they're talking about, but it doesn't change the fact that there is already a portable with the name DSi floating around out there.[/citation]

I along with probably 85% of the world have never heard of neo geo pocket. I heard of neo geo, but never neo geo pocket. so ngp sounds fine.
I used to have a sega master system so my gaming days go way back.

orochi8

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
[citation][nom]1mic[/nom]I along with probably 85% of the world have never heard of neo geo pocket. I heard of neo geo, but never neo geo pocket. so ngp sounds fine. I used to have a sega master system so my gaming days go way back.[/citation]

85% of the world never know Bob Smith, but I'm still not in any rush to hold a picnic on his grave. Even if the guy doesn't have a whole lot of relatives around to bust my balls over it, I'd still know that it was a pretty tacky maneuver.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Sound Shapes looks to me like a Gish clone sprinkled in with some Patapon. So unoriginal.

I heard they're planing on calling it "PS Vita". Ew ! Please don't.

sboults

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
YAY some guy telling me a I'll be able to do things on a sony product coming out I already did on nintendo ages ago...

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
I'm glad Wipeout is a working title, while the graphics were nice the framerate only looked to be about 30-40 FPS. Would much rather prefer 60.

Status
Not open for further replies.