Sony: UMD Format Still "Alive and Well"

Status
Not open for further replies.

axilon

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
The PSPgo failed, so they can't drop UMD yet. Next generation of the device probably will.... if they ever make one.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
UMD alive and well, except for Sony killing it on their own flagship platform with the PSP Go. Seriously, did I go back in time a year? A friend just told me she thought I was a year younger than I am too.

G

Kevin: just because the red lines go away doesn't mean you haven't made yourself look like a complete toolbag who can't spell. It's AISLES, FFS - unless Sony had some serious cheese to spend renting out private islands to stack unwanted UMDs on...

idisarmu

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2008
[citation][nom]lrn2spelleditors[/nom]Kevin: just because the red lines go away doesn't mean you haven't made yourself look like a complete toolbag who can't spell. It's AISLES, FFS - unless Sony had some serious cheese to spend renting out private islands to stack unwanted UMDs on...[/citation]

Who are you to judge? Maybe he genuinely believed that there were ISLANDS dedicated to UMDs... silly Kevin.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
The PSPgo failed, so they can't drop UMD yet. Next generation of the device probably will.... if they ever make one.

You can't be serious. I'd love to see those little disc's vanish into the sunset. The PSPGo just needs more internal memmory. If they went to 32 and 64 gig's it would probably take off. sony also needs to set up a network like itunes that keeps track of your purchases so you can load and dump at your wil and not have to worry about being charged again for a game or movie.

thejester420

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
I Think they should start phasing out the UMD. There low density, there loud, and having moving parts in the PSP greatly reduces battery life. If I were Sony I would really be pushing digital content, There has recently been announcements of a PSP phone in the works, and its gonna obviously not have a UMD drive....UMD's SUCK!!! LOL:)

Syndil

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2003
Hey, Sony. How is the MiniDisc these days? BetaMax? Is the Memory Stick format catching on with other makers yet? How about BBeB? ATRAC?

/facepalm

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]rtfm[/nom]Now that Sony are making SD cards, they could use those instead.[/citation]
Yes. Please.
Prices at my local shop:
MicroSD 16GB - $50
M2 8GB -$50. 16GB isn't even available in my city.
[citation][nom]JohnnyLucky[/nom]Unfortunately, the company did not address a hot, related issue: the price of UMD-based games versus their digital counterparts.[/citation]
I really dislike paying more for a digital download than a physical version. In store, brand new never used - $15. PSN downloaded - $40. >:O

I was hoping these things finally died. =(

Status
Not open for further replies.