Solved! Sony Vaio Laptop shuts down when unplugged.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 3, 2019
I own a Sony Vaio SVF14AC1QL, after about a year of me having it the laptop would turn off immediately when unplugged. The battery said something along the lines of "0%, not charging." I ordered a new battery and changed it out, and now the battery says "70%" but won't go any higher. The bigger problem is that it still turns off immediately when the charger is unplugged.

I thought about ordering a new charger or ANOTHER battery, but I wanted some input before wasting money. Is this a problem with the battery, the charger, or the laptop itself? Any ideas how I can fix it?

Solution
If the new battery is aftermarket, then it may well still not work correctly in the device. If so, I would suggest returning it and getting an OEM battery. Yes I know they cost more, but the aftermarket ones can do so much damage to a device.

Now, once you get the OEM one, and if you still have problems, then it could well be the charging circuit (which may well mean new motherboard).

It is less likely that it is the charger, as while a charger problem could make it not charge a battery and/or not power the laptop at all, it wouldn't make it turn off when the charger is disconnected. That would be one of the things I already mentioned.
If the new battery is aftermarket, then it may well still not work correctly in the device. If so, I would suggest returning it and getting an OEM battery. Yes I know they cost more, but the aftermarket ones can do so much damage to a device.

Now, once you get the OEM one, and if you still have problems, then it could well be the charging circuit (which may well mean new motherboard).

It is less likely that it is the charger, as while a charger problem could make it not charge a battery and/or not power the laptop at all, it wouldn't make it turn off when the charger is disconnected. That would be one of the things I already mentioned.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.