Sony Vaio VGN-FW170J won't power on

course2kid

Commendable
Aug 26, 2016
I'm at my wits end- My Sony Vaio VGN-FW170J won't turn on at all. None of the LEDS light up (power switch, power, hard drive, Wireless).

I checked the power jack at the mother board and it's getting 19.5 VDC to the board. As suggested on some YouTube videos, I sequentially disconnected devices from the motherboard (USB board, Ethernet jack, touch pad, WiFi board, fan, LCD screen, media control card, RAM cards, and speakers) while trying to power on between each item removal, but, still no luck. A friend who works on computers suggested that the motherboard must be fried. I bought another used motherboard on eBay along with another CPU. I replaced them and still got no response at all (no LEDS light up).

Any ideas are appreciated.

A couple last thoughts; 1) could it be that the power switch or inverter board failed? 2) The laptop failed after I connected it to two external monitors and left it on for couple days (one monitor on the HDMI port and the second monitor connected via USB via an Aluratek DVI adaptor). I figured that maybe these connections overloaded some circuit and caused the failure.

Solution
It is possible that the power switch or the inverter are the issues. It is also possible that the used motherboard you purchased was not good as well. Unfortunately at this point your are in hit/miss mode. I would start with the power and work your way through.

In then end, however, it may way just be a box of parts. I hope not, but it does happen.
It is possible that the power switch or the inverter are the issues. It is also possible that the used motherboard you purchased was not good as well. Unfortunately at this point your are in hit/miss mode. I would start with the power and work your way through.

In then end, however, it may way just be a box of parts. I hope not, but it does happen.

Solution