Sony Vegas Pro 12 video is completely green.

Ohjuler

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
I have a video file that, when opened in Sony Vegas, shows up as completely green. I suspect that this is because it's a 10 bit video, which caused the same problem in VLC some years back. Is there any way to make Sony Vegas read the file properly?

Here is the file information from Mediainfo:
General
Complete name :
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
File size : 4.21 GiB

Video
Format profile : High 10@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 10 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Writing library : x264 core 129 r2230 1cffe9f
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:-2:-2 / analyse=0x3:0x133 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy=1 / psy_rd=0.80:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=24 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / lookahead_threads=2 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=0 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=8 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc=crf / mbtree=0 / crf=15.9 / qcomp=0.80 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=38 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / pb_ratio=1.30 / aq=1:1.00

And here is the information for a video that DID work:
General
Complete name :
File size : 2.29 GiB

Video
Format profile : High@L4.0
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 4 frames
Width : 1 920 pixels
Height : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Writing library : x264 core 138
Encoding settings : opencl=1 / cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:-2:-2 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy=1 / psy_rd=0.70:0.00 / mixed_ref=0 / me_range=32 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=1 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=8 / lookahead_threads=1 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=9 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=16.0 / qcomp=0.70 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=20 / qpstep=4 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.00

As you can see, the only real difference (That I can tell, at least.) is that one is 10 bit and the other isn't.
I REALLY don't want to convert, so is there anything I can do?

Bonus info: The files were originally MKV, but I used MKVToolnix and MKVcleaver to extract the video file and then changed the extension from Unknown to .264
As I said, the non-10 bit works fine, so I don't think I did anything wrong here, but I thought I should include it just in case.

Try something like Gspot (http://www.headbands.com/gspot/) to get more information on the codec. It may help determine whether or not the proper codec is installed. I know you don't want to convert the file but if all else fails you could also try re-encoding the file using Handbrake (http://handbrake.fr/) or MPEG Streamclip (http://www.squared5.com/). I have seen a couple of suggestions on how to fix this. One is to revert to an older version of the QuickTime player and another is rename one of the plugins (Vegas 9) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xc4YwhHgis4
After further reading I'm not sure either one of those will help since they don't directly address 10 bit video. From what I can gather, while researching the topic, the 10 bit video uses a different compression scheme than the 8 bit video and this compression could be the problem.

Another suggested solution was to download the Avid NDxHD codec from Avid (http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_US/download/en423319). It is a QuickTime HD codec. Source: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/24/926130

Side note: It is against the forum rules to bump a post.

Ohjuler

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014

All right, I'll try Gspot and Avid NDxHD, as well as the rest. Many thanks. I'll update if it works.

Also, sorry about the bump. I'll admit I was in kind of a rush and a bit desperate since I hadn't gotten any answers, so I didn't stop to read the rules. Most other forums allows bumping (Hell, some even encourage it.), so I didn't think twice.

Ohjuler

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014

I tried Gspot, and as far as I can tell, there's nothing wrong. It said the codec was h264, and that I had the codecs installed.
I haven't reverted back to a previous Quicktime, but the name changing didn't do anything besides making me completely unable to drop the file into Sony Vegas. The Avid NDxHD codec didn't change anything.

Sorry for leaving you hanging, been rather busy. Have you tried renaming the file as any of the following .mov, .mp4, .avi and experimenting with those? Without knowing how the original 10-bit file was recorded before it was converted to an MKV file it is going to be a trial and error process.

Ohjuler

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014

Thanks for staying with me in this. I really appreciate it.
I tried to change the extension, but it didn't help.
I did, however, find out that my trial version of After Effects can read the file just fine. I don't know if that's any help, but I figured I might as well include it.

You could try rendering and exporting it from After Efects and then bringing it into Vegas. Make sure to check the aspect ratio before rendering or exporting.

Ohjuler

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
I know I'm not the expert here, but why render it in After Effects? We already established that, if all else failed, I could render it. What would be different by rendering it in AE? Besides, I already said I would like to avoid rendering it if possible. There must be a fix for this, seeing as there are tons of other people without this problem. I refuse to believe we're out of options.

I'm no expert with Sony Vegas. If I used Vegas and had the file which you are having the problem with then I might be able to replicate the problem. Since I have neither the best I can do is offer something I think may work. I know you want to avoid rendering but the file in it's current state is pretty much useless to you, correct? I'll concede that rendering in AE is probably not the best option. There probably is a solution and there are probably other options. In case you are wondering about the Sony badge then I must tell you that the majority of the "best answers" for that came from questions about Sony cameras/camcorders and not Vegas.

Ohjuler

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014

The file is useless, true, but I hate losing quality, so if I can't get it to work in Vegas without rendering it out again, then I'm simply not gonna do anything. I have to copy the procedure for 25 files where each are around 5GB big, and if I use loseless rendering, the final result is gonna be huge in size.

Also, I thought it worked in AE, but after a couple of seconds of rendering, that one also turned green.
Do you have any ideas? Maybe I could split up the file with Winrar and upload it to Mediafire and you could look at it? Or is there any more information I can provide that would help?

Ohjuler

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014

I've split the video into 22 parts and uploaded them to Mediafire. Here's the link: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/xb5ei92n7dv28//Video%20file

Also, I rendered another video yesterday, and when I tried to use the x264 under AVI, it said that "no compatible codec was found". Figured it might be related to the problem.

I'm downloading the files but it may take a while. I can only download one at a time since I don't have a pro membership, or any membership at all, on MediaFire. I'll let you know when I am able to do something. It won't be tonight for sure.

Update: I downloaded all 22 files and tried to extract them using WinRAR but I keep getting the following error message: "Video file.part05.rar: Checksum error in Video file.h264. The file is corrupt." I downloaded the file twice just in case something happened the first time it was downloaded. I received the same error message again.

Ohjuler

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014

I actually deleted the .rar files after having uploaded them, so I just re-did the process and uploaded part 5. Here's the link: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/g5901652o89df//Video%20file%202

As I said, I re-did the process, so that one may not be compatible with the other parts, but since it takes forever for me to upload all the parts, you might as well try to see if it works while the other parts are uploading.

Ohjuler

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014

The 7th part is uploaded, but check periodically if you need more, 'cause I've just left it to upload

All the parts are working except one - part22. I will try downloading it again to see if the third time is the charm. I will keep you updated and hopefully we will get this resolved soon. I will also try WinZip to see if it makes a difference.

Update: WinZip didn't help but found a fix to get the file uncompressed with WinRAR. Does the file have audio? I changed the extension to .mp4, since the .264 file wouldn't open, and was able to view the file in Windows Media Player. I'll try the file in Premiere later and I may download a trial version of Vegas Pro 12 just to see if I can open it there.

Update 2: Renaming the file as an .mp4 worked (played) on one computer and not another. Still looking for a proper extension for this file. Not giving up yet.