Sony: Vita Will Pull Gamers From Tablets, Phones (Specs)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
On the idea of say rather there is that of interest for what is there for the idea of idea to say that another shall find its place for what it is might be the interest that should be taken into mind.

Of interests though to say at anytime for what that is there might be a place of where it was from but only place for where it is or wanting to go.

Obsiouly otherwise in the interest is that of what isn't there but is going to try to find for what it is, Still of it though is what that is and why it is probbaly any better or different. Any new interest should be a better one.

But ya know, anyones can speculate this probably and on the best of subjective interests. Still of it though is only that of what might be any place of difference otherwise. But of it the most, Vita might be or will be pulling from tablets and phones. For tablets and phones, whichever.

therabiddeer

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
480p camera? Really? If you have that low of a resolution camera, and you are expecting users to have a smartphone too, then why even have a camera at all?

MrBig55

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Multi-use port (for USB data communication, DC IN, Audio [Stereo Out / Mono In], Serial data communication)
It won't be long before sony locks most of these functions as people could use that to load pirated games and apps... remember the old days when sony released patch after patch, disabling functions so that it was not possible to load pirated games anymore...

SIM card slot (3G/Wi-Fi model only)
So it will be a phone, but where does it state it could do that? Also a SIM card means people could use the vita's pseudo phone capabilities for telephoning with no contract at all. I bet it won't be long before they screw that altogether. :-(

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I won't get this or ANY handheld game console.

I play myself on PS3 and PC and I have never understand the point of playing on a very small screen with limited everything.

And lets not forget the price tag of ALL handheld game consoles are way over priced compared to what they can actually do.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]wow so they actually did gimp on the RAM. that's heartbreaking. crap.[/citation]

To put it in perspective, it has more total memory than the XBOX 360...

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I'm not sure why people are complaining about screen size. It has to be small to remain a portable and sensible device. If it was given a larger screen like a 10.1" tablet and was made for mainly gaming then the battery life would be extremely short and defeat the purpose of it to begin with.

For those of us who are gamers and tend to have to travel a bit in life handhelds are a great way to enjoy our hobby while going to the places we have to go. A long flight is made so much easier to endure when you have a handheld console. I don't care about screen size or the quality of graphics what I care about is game-play quality and if the game is entertaining.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
ok first and foremost, people who play games exclusively on a phone aren't gamers, they arent the people who wait in lines for the midnight releases, they just downloaded a 1$ app to get them through a 10 minute wait.

gamers will never use touch screen only for anything, unless thats how it was made, not a restriction. lets say ipod had controls, no gamer would use the on screen instead of buttons unless the game was made to only use touch... its hard to discribe unless you get what im saying.

now...

the 3ds isnt selling because of a severe lack of games, not because people want a cellphone to play games, some of the nintendo went over to ios, but not enough to make the 3ds non viable.

now on to responding.

[citation][nom]anastasios912[/nom]I really disagree...doubt this thing is going to make it in the days of dual core smart phones...it won't last long.[/citation]

a hand held for the hard core, with ps3 level graphics on the go, and actual controls... yea i cant see how this would sell to anyone at all.

[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]So it has twice the video power of an ipad2, but 1/4 the ram. Not really impressive enough considering theTegra 3 will have twice the gpu muscle and the same cpu. What Sony needs to do is develop a dual boot type OS for arm that can be installed on next gen cell phones and tablets, then they can go back to selling their games for $30 and not have to worry about selling the console at a loss. Bam! you instantly have a market thats 200 million+ android users strong[/citation]

and it will have craptastic controls, i take controls over graphics on mobile gaming, your idea could be ok, but wouldn't be a good idea, from a developer stand point.

[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]Someone is in denial. It's not Nintendo, because they already had their wake up call.[/citation]

they jumped the gun, and had no games. thats why its not selling well. i cant believe that people arent buying 2 or 3 of them just for nintendogs and cats 3d, resident evil the mercenaries that capcom severely gimped and was a mode in re4, or that street fighter 4 for the hand held didnt sell millions of copies, considering capcom comes out with on disc dlc and updates yearly at least with that franchise, it had nothing to do with the real fans want a arcade stick...

so long as vita has 3 games, it will sell, nintendo only has one must have, zelda oot, and by the time that came out, the window for instant sales died, ill be getting it for christmas.

[citation][nom]Animefreak _[/nom]they could of lest add 1 gb of ram considering maybe people want to run multipl apps and allow for switching over simlar to the alt tab in windows[/citation]

wow, a game console focusing on games, and not everything else... that said, they don't need a gig of ram, they need enough for a web browser, and they got that, and than some.

[citation][nom]TeKEffect[/nom]will these specs be impressive when it launches....2012.. Cell phones will be as powerful with more ram[/citation]

ram doesn't matter, you are not opening 6 explorer windows, 5 win rar, a misc program, mirc, mphc with an hd video, acdsee pro 8, acdseepro4, chrome with 8 tabs, 3 firefox windows with over 500 tabs between them all.

you have no need for excessive ram.

[citation][nom]alextheblue[/nom]I'll start by saying I don't care for Sony. I just want that to be clear. But at the very least this is an impressive piece of Hardware, even if it might fail to win over gamers.We don't know clock speeds, so we can't say that for certain. But it does have the same type of CPU and twice as many cores, and the same GPU again with twice as many cores. So you could guesstimate that it has at least double the CPU *AND* GPU power - and that assumes it isn't operating at higher clockspeeds. Might be even more.As for memory, you misread the article. It has the same amount (512MB) of system memory, and it is probably faster DDR3 instead of the iPad 2's 1066 DDR2. I'd guess 1333 at least. It ALSO has an ADDITIONAL 128MB of dedicated video memory. This memory is very likely clocked even higher than main memory, and/or has a wider bus. It could even be using GDDR5 like modern mobile graphics. Regardless it will have a lot more bandwidth than main memory.We'll see. I've seen benchmarks showing a fast clocked single core SGX540 beating a Tegra 2. An SGX540 - old tech. This is a SGX543MP4+, I'm certain you know that's 4 cores at an unknown clockspeed, with 128MB of dedicated (and probably very fast) memory. I wouldn't count it out just yet.Last I heard Tegra 3 was on the 40nm node, and was "5 times faster" than Tegra 2. That would probably put it on par with Sony's solution. More importantly, even if Tegra 3 is faster, maybe it was too far on the horizon. Sony couldn't wait any longer, from their point of view they had to stop waiting and start designing, refining, and building hardware.[/citation]

thank you for going into that, would have been allot to write on my own.

[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]Gamers will carry a second device around if the games prove enjoyable and they have the spare time. If all I need is something for a 10 minute break, no need for a dedicated device. If I have an hour long bus ride, I'm willing to play an actual game in that time. Games made for handhelds also tend to have better gameplay than consoles since they can't be as dependent on graphics to carry the product. Koller got it correct. People who want to play a real game aren't doing it on smartphones. The games on cell phones are the equivalent of sidegames in the larger titles produced for dedicated systems. Nothing but time wasters on a smoke break.As far as the lack of RAM, that's true for any gaming dedicated hardware versus a smartphone/PC. Understand that those devices have OSes that run lots of processes at once, which is why they eat up so much memory. Even before running a game, your system memory is being used on a PC. Console OSes tend to be made just to perform one task at once. You can't window out of your game and surf the net while your antivirus is actively scanning. They focus only on running the game. Because of that, they use less memory to begin with, Consoles and computers have very different needs when it comes to hardware so comparing them directly is pointless. I'm sure they put enough memory in to keep everything running smoothly, when's the last time you were playing a console game and got an "out of memory" error?"Honestly, what hardcore gamer wants to carry around a smartphone, a bulky PlayStation Vita and possibly even a tablet?"-BTW who carries both a smartphone and tablet around? A tablet is just a smartphone with a larger screen, now that's carrying too many gadgets.[/citation]

THIS VERY MUCH

[citation][nom]therabiddeer[/nom]480p camera? Really? If you have that low of a resolution camera, and you are expecting users to have a smartphone too, then why even have a camera at all?[/citation]

these are for video. have you seen what most hd looks like off a cellphone? it looks like crap, its better to have good cameras at lower resolution than bad ones at high... for now these are wait and sees.

[citation][nom]MrBig55[/nom]It won't be long before sony locks most of these functions as people could use that to load pirated games and apps... remember the old days when sony released patch after patch, disabling functions so that it was not possible to load pirated games anymore...So it will be a phone, but where does it state it could do that? Also a SIM card means people could use the vita's pseudo phone capabilities for telephoning with no contract at all. I bet it won't be long before they screw that altogether. :-([/citation]

lol the old days, you mean their current strategy. they are going to the indi devs and iphone devs, there is a good chance that we will get ios and android like apps for free, eliminating the need for a home brew sector

[citation][nom]johnsmithhatesVLC[/nom]Smartphones will soon have 720p screens and Vita is still aiming for this low resolution?[/citation]

once you get in the 220.29 range, its almost pointless to go higher, and what the screen is becomes more important, and in this case, its an oled.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]I won't get this or ANY handheld game console.I play myself on PS3 and PC and I have never understand the point of playing on a very small screen with limited everything.And lets not forget the price tag of ALL handheld game consoles are way over priced compared to what they can actually do.[/citation]
Agreed, three in my sight for the PC are, SkyRim, RAGE and Deus Ex.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]anastasios912[/nom]I really disagree...doubt this thing is going to make it in the days of dual core smart phones...it won't last long.[/citation]
do you know how to read?....let me help you....."ARM Cortex-A9 core (4 core)"

G

Target of psvita are gamers..the one's who play games not just to pass the time. I mean seriously all those who are bashing the handheld consoles are android junkies who knows deep games like angry bird and tower defense....

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]I won't get this or ANY handheld game console.I play myself on PS3 and PC and I have never understand the point of playing on a very small screen with limited everything.And lets not forget the price tag of ALL handheld game consoles are way over priced compared to what they can actually do.[/citation]

Because most of us don't want to lug our laptops around on the bus or while we're waiting in the doctors office or while doing the laundry when the urge to play a game hits.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Typical arrogant Sony. I just dont see dedicated handheld gaming devices lasting too much longer. Everyone has to have a phone now a days that can multitask. I guess we'll find out when they finally release it.

badaxe2

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2008
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]So it has twice the video power of an ipad2, but 1/4 the ram. Not really impressive enough considering theTegra 3 will have twice the gpu muscle and the same cpu. What Sony needs to do is develop a dual boot type OS for arm that can be installed on next gen cell phones and tablets, then they can go back to selling their games for $30 and not have to worry about selling the console at a loss. Bam! you instantly have a market thats 200 million+ android users strong[/citation]

Actually it has 128MB more RAM than iPad 2.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/03/03/apples_a5_cpu_in_ipad_2_has_512mb_of_ram_same_as_iphone_4_report.html

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]reggieray[/nom]Agreed, three in my sight for the PC are, SkyRim, RAGE and Deus Ex.[/citation]

BAM all 3 get ports to the vita within a year (very possible, just lower texture rezolutions and slightly downgraded polly count) what do you do now?

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
Sony should focus more on their Xperia Play phone. The touch sensitive joystick imitations were crap according to reviews. If they make a better phone with improved controllers and a good mobile OS they will sell their Xperia Play like freshly made Krispy Kream donuts.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]lpedraja2002[/nom]Sony should focus more on their Xperia Play phone. The touch sensitive joystick imitations were crap according to reviews. If they make a better phone with improved controllers and a good mobile OS they will sell their Xperia Play like freshly made Krispy Kream donuts.[/citation]

sadly, for a phone, those touch pads were as good as it would get...

but i would rather NEVER have a phone for gaming... just think of it. if your phone dies you cant make a call, cant receive, and so on. if a handheld dies, you just cant game any more.

i will never buy into a smartphone, but consider an ipod touch, if JUST for a bar code reader, qr code, and such. i would rather have my phone seperate from everything else even if that means i need to have... wait for it... 2 CREDIT CARD SIZED OBJECTS in my pocket.

i use to walk around with a gameboy AND a game gear when i was a kid. in the space those took up i could fit an ipod gen whatever is newest (the ones with the hdd, for music storage, i have allot of books and crap on audio) an iphone, an android, a REAL digital slr camera, a telescopic lens, and still have room for my psp, ds, 3ds, and batteries for each to swap out, allong with the tools.

G

Can someone tell me how the Vita is going to support Skype when it does not have a video-cam
built in. I'm not that gadget savvy to begin with, so that one has me stumped, unless that is one of the uses for the accessory port that is listed in the specs. But if that is the case, what kind of video camera is going to plug into a Vita? Also, does anyone know how the Vita is going to accomplish video out?

Status
Not open for further replies.