SOPA Not Even Passed and Work-Around is Already Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

phasmantis

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
[citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]Where there's a law, there's a hack to get around it.[/citation]
Where there's clueless legislators, there's people who know what the hell they're doing (the public)!

fandroid

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2011
[citation][nom]phasmantis[/nom]Where there's clueless legislators, there's people who know what the hell they're doing (the public)![/citation]
The same people who keep voting them back into office and aren't outraged at this bill enough to do anything to stop it? Those people?

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
No, fandroid, they aren't. Congresscritters are unaccountable leeches, who live in their own little world, lording it over the rest of us. They buy votes of the ignorant masses with unearned benefits (which has bankrupted the country), and only support those who fill their campaign coffers; anyone else be damned.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]Goldengoose[/nom]The Internet community gets one over on the big wigs - just makes you feel warm inside.[/citation]
From what is described in these "hacks," it seems that it would be pretty easy to get around this for anyone who runs their own, private DNS on their local network. There are lots of public DNS servers out there that are outside of the US. All one would need to do is point the network DNS to a public DNS that is located outside of the US. Said DNS could be a primary or a fail-over. For the US based private DNS runner, it would be a trivial change in configuration.

digitalzom-b

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2011
[citation][nom]fandroid[/nom]The same people who keep voting them back into office and aren't outraged at this bill enough to do anything to stop it? Those people?[/citation]

The people who understand this technology work in the field, not in the senate playing "pay me to make a decision." They're also a minority. Don't be fooled by the sense of control you think we have as a democracy. Money votes.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]digitalzom-b[/nom]The people who understand this technology work in the field, not in the senate playing "pay me to make a decision." They're also a minority. Don't be fooled by the sense of control you think we have as a democracy. Money votes.[/citation]
It's a sad state of affairs.

eodeo

Distinguished
May 29, 2007
i hope SOPA and MAFFIAA burn for what they're trying to do. Not what they say what they want toi do, but rather for what they actually want. And may I be wrong about them.

mr_tuel

Distinguished
May 23, 2009
I feel bad for the majority of internet users who don't know about SOPA or how to circumvent its effects. OTOH makes me want to host a "rogue" DNS...

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom]If they pass this, I'm going to comb over the whitehouse.gov website for ANYTHING that might remotely be copyrighted by somebody else and file to have their site de-listed.[/citation]:lol: I would not be surprised if you found something. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.