Sort of new to how cell phone plans work, need questions answered

Kilo7-

Honorable
Nov 4, 2013
Hi. I recently am making a switch from crappy garbage tracfones to an HTC with spotmobile since I'm becoming a more active cell phone user. I already did my research and all and know for sure HTC One is supported by spot mobile.

Since spotmobile isn't huge like Verizon or AT&T, etc., the HTC One does not have a bundle that includes spotmobile. So do I purchase simply an "unlocked" HTC?

Also, what exactly is data that cell phone providers give you? Like if for example I'm offered 250 mb of data a month, what is that data used for? Storing pictures and videos? Can I browse the internet for free as long as I'm using local wifis?

One more question, a sort of dumb one too, but do I need to buy a spotmobile SIM card in order to get their service?

I know these questions are extremely stupid to the average cell phone user and apologize, but appreciate the help greatly!

notherdude

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I don't know about the spotmobile details. You should ask them about using an unlocked HTC One on their network because they will supply details as to model and simcards. You wouldn't want to buy a phone only to have them tell you they don't support it. As for mobile data . . 250 meg is TINY. Most average users will go through 1 to 2 gig (4 to 8 times the 250 meg) if they actually use their phone to do much on the net such as email, web browsing, internet radio, facebook etc,. I go through about 10 gig myself but i have an unlimited plan and am able to tether my laptop to my phone, so I am not typical. You COULD stay under 250 meg but only if you are very careful indeed. But WIFI is free, so as long as you hook up to the coffee shop WIFI or your home WIFI you will not be charged.

notherdude

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
OK, if you are sure but these fringe/bargain carriers are sometimes very picky, just sayin.

But yes, data = internet, i.e. internet accessed through a cell tower as opposed to WIFI..