SOS backup vs other backups

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cvdasf

Estimable
Aug 15, 2014
I have been doing a lot of research on online backup services and would like some advice. I have 10tb+ of data across my NAS and internall hard drives. I'd like to be able to select certain things to not sync (private folders) So backblaze is out of the question. I'm looking at SOS right now and to me it looks pretty solid. What are the downsides of SOS that other online backup companies might have?

Solution
The US based ones all have a lot of privacy concerns atm and I simply wouldn't trust them with anything personal. I used to use mozy about a year ago but I don't think they are in business anymore since their CERT hasn't been renewed the last few times that I went there. Like what I did was I setup a nas with 12TB's of storage 16TB total if you include the the extra backup drives and I shipped it off to my parents in the UK and told them just to plug it in somewhere and connect a Ethernet cord. But that would be really overkill for most. I can check around my bookmarks and see if I have anymore of them based outside of the US. You would get some reduced speed, but you do get a lot more privacy.

Cvdasf

Estimable
Aug 15, 2014

Ok thank you :) youve been so much help!