Sound bar or PC Speakers?

Billyfish3

Estimable
Oct 10, 2014
Hi,
I have a Sony Bravia 42" TV and i was looking to increase the sound quality. I was thinking of a sound bar but don't really have the space as the TV is mounted above my desk. The one I was looking at was this one as it was the one they suggested I get when i bought the TV:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-HT-CT60BT-sound-system-wireless/dp/B00HQXIFYW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431030476&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+htc60bt

Then i was thinking if some nice PC speakers would do the trick. I was looking at the creative t30 and t40s.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-GigaWorks-Multimedia-Speakers-Technology/dp/B001IZZ2PE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1431030582&sr=8-2&keywords=creative+t30
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Creative-Multimedia-Audiophile-Configuration-Technology/dp/B001IZZ2PO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1431030582&sr=8-3&keywords=creative+t30
If I plugged them into my TV would they sound better than the normal speakers? I mainly watch movies and netflix on the TV as well as game.
Any feedback would be appreciated, Thanks!

Solution
since you're in uk.... if you felt like spending a big more why not just upgrade to bookshelf speakers and an amplifier.

wharfdale diamond 10.0's are 89gbp and you can pair it up with an amplifier to power them. much better than pc speakers.

in general...... hifi or home theater speakers > pc speakers ..... in almost all ways.

--

soundbars are nice because they are compact. some of the pricier ones can simulate surround fairly well and have decent audio quality (though will never be as good as a dedicated home theater system).

if you have little space and want something easy to connect, that takes up little space but yet is better than pc speakers and your tv speakers then this is the way to go.

--

i personally have a tv wall...

Billyfish3

Estimable
Oct 10, 2014

Yeah I thought it would be but I don't really have the space for it, would the speakers be sound good enough to be worth the £79?
Thanks

^Agreed.

The bar is set really low with TV speakers so yes a pair of stereo PC speakers would be an improvement.,

The soundbar on the other hand is a big step up in many ways:
Soundbar has a dedicated subwoofer which is a huge difference in movies
Soundbar has angled speakers to simulate surround sound
That soundbar has an optical input. That means it can receive 5.1 surround data so it actually gets data for left, right, center, sub, rear left, rear right vs just left/right with PC speakers.

For the sound bar hook all components into TV (preferably via HDMI) then use a toslink optical cable from TV to soundbar.

since you're in uk.... if you felt like spending a big more why not just upgrade to bookshelf speakers and an amplifier.

wharfdale diamond 10.0's are 89gbp and you can pair it up with an amplifier to power them. much better than pc speakers.

in general...... hifi or home theater speakers > pc speakers ..... in almost all ways.

--

soundbars are nice because they are compact. some of the pricier ones can simulate surround fairly well and have decent audio quality (though will never be as good as a dedicated home theater system).

if you have little space and want something easy to connect, that takes up little space but yet is better than pc speakers and your tv speakers then this is the way to go.

--

i personally have a tv wall mounted above my desk (photos in signature under build if you cared) and i'm running a 5.1 set with receiver. sound quality is magnitudes better than the tv speakers. even pc speakers were better than tv speakers. if you can route cables through walls (and had more of a budget!) a 5.1 system is possible without too much clutter, otherwise i'd just stick to a 2.0, 2.1, 3.1 or soundbar.

Solution

Billyfish3

Estimable
Oct 10, 2014
Thanks for all your feedback! I don't really want to spend too much mabye max £120, I think a sound at would be a little too big even if I were to wall mount above my TV, it would nearly be a the roof. Would the creative speakers sound alright for watching movies and playing games or will the be too quiet, if I got the creative one I could also use them as pc speakers as well. Or would going for the two separate speakers would be a lot better?

the t20/t40 are pretty detailed as far as pc speakers go and good choices for that.... but completely lack decent bass response which is their downside. if you went with pc speakers, you would want one with a subwoofer if you want any kind of bass at all. that still wouldnt be ideal, but would certainly work. provided your tv has a headphone jack (or L/R rca outputs) yes you could use pc speakers on both tv and pc.

pc speakers generally arent anywhere near the quality of any hifi equipment. even a soundbar should sound better. i think you'd be better off with some kind of hifi speakers or bar for your scenario but that is your choice.

since you seem to want pc speakers only, perhaps the z523, creature III or soundsticks III which are fairly decent (for pc speakers) and all include subwoofers. you wouldnt be able to blare them like hifi speakers but should get loud enough for your needs.

Billyfish3

Estimable
Oct 10, 2014

yeah I think that i could get much better soundbar/speakers for a little bit more. For speakers I was thinking of mounting them either side of the TV on the wall. If I was going to get a sound bar It would have to go above the TV. I saw these speakers but dont really know what im looking for. Have you got any suggestions for TV speakers and sound bar at MAX £120-150 or $185-$231 that would suit me.
http://www.richersounds.com/product/standmount-speakers/wharfedale/diamond-9.0/whar-9.0-blk
Thanks

Billyfish3

Estimable
Oct 10, 2014

Yeah they do look quite good, I'm gonna go to the store tomorrow and listen to them, thanks