Sound Blaster Recon3D no power

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan21

Honorable
May 5, 2013
Yesterday my Soundblaster Recon3D just stopped getting power. According to the Creative website, it's probably a firmware issue because it is still detected by Windows. The problem is I get an error while trying to update the firmware: "Firmware upgrading failed!". I have tried switching USB port, using another computer and also using another cable on another computer. No luck. Why do I get this message and what can I do about it?

clydet2

Estimable
Jan 16, 2015

Do the lights glow when u plug it in the pc and start firmware.exe?

Rboony

Estimable
May 2, 2015

The same thing happened to me then I switched the conputer off and on and it worked perfectly on my PS4

spark91

Estimable
Apr 28, 2015
This is an abysmal product. I bought it back in January and had to return it for the reasons listed here. They sent me a refurbished one (with scratches all over the headset) and after a week of use it won't power on again. The firmware won't update either. I've tried (on my first headset) to roll back the firmware but was unable to update it to the newest version. Beware if this happens because the old firmware doesn't support the software.

gregorio1970

Estimable
Jul 28, 2015
Hi
Every day i had to upgrade firmware to make it work .Now one time it's working
I disconnect usb cable befor i shut down my pc , next day reconnect when pc is working.
About one week i am doing this way and no more problems with Recon3D.

ComputerGuy55

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
I've recently purchased a pair of these headphones and came across the same issue. I contacted Customer Support and of course they were no help, leaving me to solve it on my own..

I have since resolved the issue (With it being minor now compared to what it was) I use to have to reinstall an old firmware version every time the headset failed to re-connect, I've gotten it down to working 95% of the time and once and awhile I need to unplug the Wireless Key and re-connect for the headset to resync.

FIX: If ANYONE is still having this issue and is looking for a fix I suggest going here, and downloading the firmware version from April 3rd (Web Update version) it worked like a charm for me, and even mentions in the notes about it that it fixes the issue. Hope this helps! P.S. - I would like to add that I am running Windows 7 x64 and this work around has worked for me.

I've gotten my headset to be about 90% stable so far, but was still re-installing the firmware update at least once a week. In the last couple months all I've been doing is ensuring that I unplug the headset after shutting down. Please see Blackbeardie's reply to see if the solution works for you, I am attempting it myself for the first time (Oct. 8th, 2016)

Artucrus

Commendable
Mar 7, 2016
I am having this problem now. I have unplugged, replugged to another (working - checked) USB port. Nothing. I have uninstalled firmware, rebooted computer, gone to Creative to download latest driver and installed it and replugged to working USB. Says no hardware detected and nothing happens.

The link ComputerGuy55 posted, is not working for me. Just leading to a blank space. I am by no means very proficient with computers, and not a native English speaker. So if anyone can do a step by step for dummies, on how to get it to work, that would be excellent.

I think there were a Windows 10 update last night, that might have screwed with it??

Zimon04

Commendable
Jun 11, 2016

If any of the other solutions dosent work for you
Try this software instead http://support.creative.com/downloads/download.aspx?nDownloadId=13126

Blackbeardie

Commendable
Oct 5, 2016
Had the same problem. This solved my issue.
Download the old drivers as mentioned.
http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/FIRMWARE/Creative/Creative-Sound-Blaster-Recon3D-Firmware-11601730811.shtml

Then...
Untitled.jpg

ComputerGuy55

Distinguished
May 7, 2009

I've been having on and off issues with this headset since I purchased them (Second hand, mind you)

I read online about lots of problems people have with them, thankfully most of my major issues have been resolved but every now and then it stops responding. Most notably so when I sleep my computer or when it first starts up, sometimes it just won't let the headset connect.

I will try this and see how it works out for my last issue with this headset, once this issue is resolved I will have them working 100%. I use to have to reinstall the firmware at least once a week if not more.

Now I just ensure that I unplug the receiver after shutting down and plug it in once windows has started. Thanks for this suggestion :)

I'm sorry to hear that my previous suggestion did not work for you. However, I made a major tech mistake when suggesting my fix. I did not mention that I am running Windows 7 64-bit and the fix was meant for users running it. With Win10 I am not too familiar with it, but ensuring you download the latest firmware for Windows 10 would be the first step, you should be able to find it here. The link I gave in my first reply was broken, I have now fixed it, thank you.

Again, my apologies. You should be able to download the first one listed there that is 308.75KB, released Dec 15, 2015. If you have any problems with this or are still running into problems with this feel free to reply here or PM me directly. I seemed to have forgotten to subscribe to this thread and didn't notice any replies till I went searching for this thread again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.