Sound Blaster Recon3D no power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan21

Honorable
May 5, 2013
Yesterday my Soundblaster Recon3D just stopped getting power. According to the Creative website, it's probably a firmware issue because it is still detected by Windows. The problem is I get an error while trying to update the firmware: "Firmware upgrading failed!". I have tried switching USB port, using another computer and also using another cable on another computer. No luck. Why do I get this message and what can I do about it?

robnof

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012

http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=108652

This is probably the article you came across. Try plugging it in to a different usb port, and then update it's firmware. If that doesn't work, try the same process on another computer. I don't think the device itself is broken because windows is still detecting it. But if all else fails, you can use the warranty if its still covered.

Dan21

Honorable
May 5, 2013
Thanks for answering. Yes that was the article in question. I did those steps that you wrote but on the other computer I get the message "no device detected" by the firmware updating .exe file, but I know Windows detects it on this other device as well because pressing the "+" or "-" buttons on the Soundblaster device makes the Windows audio volume go up and down. It is also shown in the audio device list when plugged in (on both computers).

robnof

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012

The only thing I can think of, is completely uninstalling any of the creative software. Then use a program like driver sweeper to remove any lingering files. Then try the firmware update from scratch. If that doesn't work, you'll probably have to contact Creative customer service.

Dan21

Honorable
May 5, 2013
Thanks again for replying. Drivers sweeper only supports "NVIDIA (Display and Chipset), ATI (Display), Creative (Sound) Realtek (Sound), Ageia (PhysX) and Microsoft (Mouse)" according ot the website. I tried uninstalling the Creative programs and made sure there was no creative driver in device manager left however. Still the firmware update won't work. I contacted them and they said the same thing you did (the warranty went out two months ago btw). I thought maybe someone here would know a possible reason for the software upgrading failure in case I don't have to send it in or buy a new.

G

I'm having the exact same issue, and I've tried everything to fix it. All my computers detect the device in the device manager but the lights on the card don't light up. I even get the plug and play message that says a device is being installed after I plug it. I was thinking I could just buy another card but from what I've seen online recently it's a common problem with most of the cards all of the sudden. Any help would be greatly appreciated (even if it's just telling me how to use my headset without the card).

My warranty expired within the last few months as well...

MattMarrett

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013

I fixed mine by running this twice. The first time got the lights working and the second time fixed the sound. I'm not sure why but Thanks!

Dan21

Honorable
May 5, 2013
I tried this and amazingly it works! The lights glowed as soon as I started the firmware .exe and the sound started to work after the firmware was installed. Thank you very much! To anyone else having this problem, if the fix doesn't work make sure to contact costumer service to see how long the warranty is in your country. Apparently here in Sweden the warranty is two years (so I would have got it fixed for free anyway!), in contrast to the info on the website. Thanks again!

rsjac

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013

Ahhh! Thank you so much! This my THIRD Omega Recon 3d, I took the other two back because even Creative couldn't give me a fix that worked. Had like 6 emails with them. At least this answer wasn't here the last time I searched, so I'm not too ashamed.

Going to dump a few keywords that I searched so that google might give this page to others as well:

Creative Recon Omega 3D Wireless Gaming Headset base unit not powering on wireless broken no lights on wireless receiver no lights on base unit no power not responding volume works no lights

THANKS AGAIN!

Dan21

Honorable
May 5, 2013
It's nice to see the fix working for others! I informed them of the fix in this thread and that it appears to have worked for multiple people. Hopefully they will be able to help others in the future.

Try installing the older firmware Sneeuwpoeper provided that you can find here. If it works, you should be able to update to the newer firmware again without the error message. Hope this helps!

boslavsky

Honorable
Dec 4, 2013

Hi, I got this problem too of the device not powering up but windows detecting it, so I tried Sneeuwpoeper's suggestions and the lights did turn on when the firmware started downloading, but after that it said "Install failed!" or something similar and that hasn't worked. Any ideas?

Thanks

Lalo67

Honorable
Oct 31, 2013

Korginator

Estimable
Feb 25, 2014

I have exactly the same problem. Please help as my device worked perfectly before! The lights turn on if I run the firmware, but the update fails. If I restart my PC or unplug the device it will be off again.

Jason24cf

Estimable
Mar 12, 2014
I have the same issue, I downloaded the file and I run it and it still can't locate my Recon3D. But like everyone else, the Recon3D controls the functions on my Mac and PC. I ran it as "administrator" and also with another program on my mMac so I can get the exe file to work. Still the same error. Any ideas on how I can get this to work?

bonza689

Estimable
Jun 6, 2014
Hello,

I have had this problem also... i have launched the new firmware that made the light appear. then closed the updater. the relaunched it and it did not crash when i updated it. the after a restart my headset worked. Firmware (SBR3_PC_Firmware_EA_13_07_01 (1.36MB))

Hope this helps.

Hutzu Roby

Estimable
Sep 5, 2014
I tried this and it doesn't work .. i mean when i run it , it says that Your device is not conected ,please connect the device and restart the application ..
I also tried other firmwares and i also tried to update it but it didn't work !! One more thing it doesn't recognize the version of the driver .. Any ideea ? tried on other laptops as well , USB 3 and 2 ...

carbon tax

Estimable
Oct 1, 2014
I had the same problem with mine ran the firm on a pc 8.1 no good but then I did it on a Mac 10.5.8 and it worked, if you run it and the lights only come on then run it again and the sound works as well.

I took mine back and got them replaced then sold them boxed unopened to a friend now he has the same problem right out of the box. Mine worked fine for a few months then died.

clydet2

Estimable
Jan 16, 2015
Hello,

I tried sneeuwpoepers solution without succes. My pc couldn't detect the device which was weird because i could change the volume on the device.

I did manage to get it work: I downloaded the newest firmware on the creative website. Then i tried to install it : update failed!

If u start the firmware.exe the lights will glow. At this point cancel the update. Ur lights will be still glowing but the sound doesn't work. Now restart your pc, then everything should be fine.

I hope this also works for u guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS