Solved! Sound Blaster ZX shuts down pc

Apr 6, 2020
Hello, I'm new to this site.
I have just purchased a SB ZX , once its installed into my PCI slot I power pc up and it shuts down within seconds. Then I remove card, turn PC back on and still shuts down almost immediately. I have problem solved

• Checked PSU, (only 6 months old, TT tough power 875W)
  • Switched Video cards, (put video card in secondary slot, no issue with PCI)
  • Cleaned dust out of components and case

Still no boot, so I removed RAM sticks and reboot, shut down, reinstalled 1 stick at a time in between boots ( saving bios every time) and I had a clean boot back into windows.
I then reinstall SB ZX card and straight away same issue...shutdown, so again remove ram sticks and clean boot.

Can anybody help? Its a new card, I have never had an issue with any cards before. The one thing i have noticed is the sound card isn't sitting flat as the Audio boost chip on the motherboard is next to PCI slot.
My specs are

Cool master Scout 2 case
MSI Gaming 970
24GB ram
EVGA 1660 XC
AMD 8350
2x SSD
2xSATA

Solution
I wold content support, and make sure the card is seated properly. If it's a tiny bit not flat it is fine, if the card is in at a big angle that is an issue, maybe the backplate is not lined up properly with the case cut outs.

Why did you get the card vs the onboard audio? Usually you won't see much of an improvement if any with add-on sound card that is working properly without interference noise.
Apr 6, 2020
try the PCI express SB ZX into a PCIe x1 slot (above the graphics card)

update the BIOS within BIOS (M-Flash)
Thanks for replying helpstar. I have tried both pcie slots. I forgot to mention I've updated latest bios too. I have checked motherboard is seated correctly. I'm totally stumped, as every other card sits fine, except sound blaster card. I have even tried cable ties but as soon as any audio jack wiggles it shorts and shuts down😣

I wold content support, and make sure the card is seated properly. If it's a tiny bit not flat it is fine, if the card is in at a big angle that is an issue, maybe the backplate is not lined up properly with the case cut outs.

Why did you get the card vs the onboard audio? Usually you won't see much of an improvement if any with add-on sound card that is working properly without interference noise.

Solution
Apr 6, 2020

Thanks for reply hang 9. The on board audio is shocking. Realteck drivers not liking 5.1. Low output on rears, centre is weak too. All levels are max ..No difference. I had an old xfi kicking around just got to find it. I'll go down the creative support road, see what they say☺

Apr 6, 2020
solved guys. Thanks for you help. card was definitely shorting out motherboard. i put a bit of a bend in card rack on case and bent locating point on sound card. all good and stable.

Thanks for the feedback and glad it is working now.

Did you try it in another PCIe port than x1 and it worked? What the box says theoretically is working, but I read a view reviews of this card and couldn´t verify that it really woks in other than PCIe x1.