Sound Interference when connecting Line In cable to Game Console

Lorne_x

Prominent
Mar 6, 2017
I'm having trouble getting audio to come from my Line In cable without any noise interference (light screeching/humming sound).

Here is my setup. I normally use a headset that I connect to the Line Out and Microphone ports of my desktop. I then connect a 3.5mm male to male cable into the Line In port of the desktop for when I want to listen to my PC audio along with audio from another source like my PS4 or Nintendo Switch.

My PS4 and Switch connect through HDMI into the second HDMI slot my monitor which also has built speakers. Whenever I want to start up a game I switch my monitor's input to Input 2 to display the gaming system's screen instead of my desktop. Then to hear my gaming system's audio, I plug in the 3.5mm male to male cable into my Dualshock 4 controller's audio port. Here, I have no interference or problems because the controller is connected wirelessly to my PS4.

However, when I try to connect the 3.5mm cable to my monitor's headphone jack to hear sound from the gaming system I get that humming/screeching sound. I'm assuming it has something to do with the fact that the console is hooked up to the monitor via HDMI and my PC is hooked up to that same monitor using a different HDMI slot, causing a kind of interference. Of course, I could be wrong and there is some other reason for the buzzing sensation.

Any advice on how I can listen to my PC audio and console audio mixed together in the same headphones would be appreciated!

Solution
Simplest way would be to buy a small home audio mixer or interface, similar to the ones that people use to record youtube videos, or for live streaming. That way you would have total control over your audio sources, and get a much cleaner sound!

Hope this helps,
Kenton.
Simplest way would be to buy a small home audio mixer or interface, similar to the ones that people use to record youtube videos, or for live streaming. That way you would have total control over your audio sources, and get a much cleaner sound!

Hope this helps,
Kenton.

Solution