Sound-problems using HDMI to stereo/soundssystem

Leifin

Estimable
Aug 15, 2015
Hi guys,

I have a problem that bothers me a lot.

My stationary PC (a HP Slimline 5340) is connected to my sound-system (from Pioneer) using a HDMI cable. Ever since I bought the computer, I have had a problem where the sound is muted for 1-2 sec randomly (can go a few min or a few sec between the occurrences). As you can imagine its rather annoying and for a long while I used the AUX out on the PC which works well but of course doesn't give as good sound. Playing DVD's and similar does not cause any problems and I have had other units connected to the sound system so we can rule that out.

I have tried many things;
* Windows sounds settings, ATI HDMI output is selected, I have tried to change the sound quality to lowest possible (16 bits, 32 kHz) but driver reads sounds up to 24 bits and 192 kHz should be supported.
* I have reinstalled the sound drivers a few times

What else can cause this problem?

Anyone who has experienced a similar problem?

Many thanks!

You don't mention if you tried a different HDMI cable. The cable doesn't affect the quality of the picture or sound but it does can cause "handshake" issues with certain combinations of source to cable to AVR that are not quite up to the HDMI standards. This is more likely to happen with longer cables.

Leifin

Estimable
Aug 15, 2015

Haven't tried another HDMI cable but have tried another PC with the same cable and then it worked fine. The HDMI cable is 1,5 meters.
I will try another one and report back :)

Leifin

Estimable
Aug 15, 2015
Now I have tried with another HDMI cable, sadly still the same problem.
I assume it has to be something related to the graphics card then? As I wrote earlier, I have tried to reinstall the drivers a bunch of times and are running on the most recent version..

TRENDING THREADS