Sound streams in Flask, FU

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok here is a either a good question or a good reason to still use Flask. Usually I want to only encode the main movie and not the extra crap that comes with a DVD but the last one I did had 3 extra 10 minute clips that I wanted to encode to divx. I did the main movie with FU and picked up the sound with a smartrip/graphedit/vd process. Smartrip shows only one sound thread. Graphedit shows only one output for sound. All this was just fine for the main movie but where is the sound for the 3 other clips?

Flask shows only one sound stream but when you select one of the 3 shorter clips Flask finds the sound for the clip no problem. I ended up using Flask for the clips and FU for the main movie. Am I stupid? Could I have used FU for the whole thing?

G

I use vStrip to get the sound only ripped into a .vob file.
in vStrip you have to select the right .vob file(s) of which one you want to get the sound off. it's usually very easy with the main movie since this is almost always the biggest chain. but it shouldn't be to hard to find the correct .vob and according .ifo for the additional clips. I haven't done it myself yet but I think the time that vStrip tells you in the .ifo parsing window should be the same that FU tells you for the chain of the clip. would be nice if FU would tell you the .vob file name for each chain though.
hope I could help you.

respect!

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Dude thanks (as always) for the tip. I'm not sure but I think that the sound for the clips is in the same vobs as the main movie. When you click on the ifo for the big vobs Flask shows only one sound stream but several video streams. The longest is of course the movie, the others are shorter and 3 contain the video for the clips I spoke of before. There are also several 1 or 2 minute video streams. When you pick any of the video streams in Flask it automatically picks the correct sound.

Smartrip, like flask shows only one sound stream but it does have some other mapping numbers I don't understand like x080 or something like that. I think this "mapping" is where the other sound files are starting. Unfortunately on the particular video I asked the question about I don't have all the stuff to check it out further cause I needed hd space so the big FU rips are gone. Thanks again

G

the 0x80 etc. usually stand for the language tracks (which you can choose from during playback) where 0x80 is english in most cases.
the scenario you describe looks to me as if the other tracks have not been used for additional languages but for the sound of the additional 3 streams. never heard of this before and didn't know that this is possible.

since you don't have all the files anymore I think you should do it as you thought of in the first place and do the 3 short streams in Flask the movie in FU and then bring them together in Vdub.

respect!

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Even though the dvd that started this question is long gone I think I figured out the problem: dugh Smartrip has several processing modes and I think I must have ripped in "movie" mode which would only get you sound for the main "movie".