Soundcard or headphones upgrade?

HiDood

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
Should I get a dedicated sound card or a pair of better headphones (without amp)?
I got some birthday money and I want some upgrades to make music sound better. Disclaimer: I am not a serious audiophile, I just love music and I have better ears. So that's why I want to make music sound better. My onboard sound sounds terrible, and it is not clean at all. While my phone (it's a blackberry passport) delivered a more punchy bass and clearer mids.
Should I get a pair of m50s or should I get a Asus sonar dsx?
My budget is around 45 dollars, but I can save some more if I wish, and Asus sonar dsx sound cards are a lot cheaper here in my residence(like 40 dollars).

P.s. I'm currently using a pair of steelseries siberia v2. Hey don't judge me, I was not so serious about music

meeko13

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
You already have a good headphone for gaming. I would suggest ASUS xonar dgx if it has support for windows 10 check unixonar or asus site for driver. Asus DGX has headphone amp so it will benefit more for your headphone.

guanyu210379

Distinguished
steelseries siberia v2 is a 32 Ohm headphone, this is the main reason why you can not enjoy the on-board sound. On-Board sound can only drive max 16 Ohm headphones properly.
Getting good sound always go first for the headphone or speakers than the amplifier or soundcard.
I think steelseries siberia v2 is not that bad, so, I would also first try a new good soundcard or a good external DAC.
For headphone users, if you are looking for internal soundcards due to some reasons, ASUS Xonar Essence STX2 is really good, I have this one too.

HiDood

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
Oh yeah. Bad news. My motherboard doesn't have any avaliable slots left as my gtx 970 takes up 3 pcie slots. Any sort of USB, external sound card that comes with an amp that's cheap? My budget is around 36 dollars. Maximum 50 dollars. And does USB ones perform as good as the pcie ones? If so, which one should I buy?
although some of you might argue that I might not hear the difference (while gaming) but I use the sound card for music. Not for gaming or movies.

HiDood

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
I made up my mind. But I am stuck between these 2 USB sound cards.
The creative omni surround 5.1 or the creative x fi 5.1 surround pro?
it's a shame that the stereo version is not avaliable here.
The omni surround is obviously better due to the price tag... but I really don't think I'll need a mic. To be honest I dontneed the surround sound either! Any other good recommendations?
The max price I'm spending is 70 dollars.

HiDood

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015

i have one "old school pci slot". 2 actually, but did you remember me saying something about a gtx 970? yeah. that card is triple slotted. amyways, i decided to go with the asus xonar x5. theres an amp, its 5.1 and with sonic studio i can equallize it and make it stereo instead of virtual 5.1. thanks for all of your suggestions though. but just want to ask, does virtual surround sounds just like true surround, or does true surround (if both of these headphones' prices are the same) have a better surround system, while stereo still performs better in terms of music?

BrandonYoung

Estimable
Oct 13, 2014
My Asus Xonar Essence ST, being a stereo card, uses various sounding techniques to recreate 3D positional audio. Its surprising how accurate it is in 3D shooter style games. I can almost play shooters with my eyes closed.

Yes, its that good.

Best of luck.