Soundcard or Headset problem? Am I being a noob? AX Tritton Pro.

21stPhantom

Estimable
Mar 7, 2014
Around July 2011 I purchased a Tritton AX Pro Gaming Headset (link here - Amazon). I used it with my Xbox 360 and PS3 and it sounded great when games had the supported Dolby audio. I've just built my first PC using an Asus Hero mobo which has the SupremeFX onboard audio, which on the website states it supports DTS Connect (link here - Asus Website). I'm using Windows 8.1 and when I view audio playback devices it says 'RealTek HD Audio' and RealTek HD Audio (Optical); supported formats - Dolby Digital and DTS Audio. However, when using the decoder box and plugging in the necessary cables and optical lead into the SPDIF connection on my motherboard, it doesn't output any sound. When plugged in, a new device called 'C-Media USB' appears and when I select this as the default; sound comes through the headphones but it is only stereo and of extremely low quality. It also will not play any sound through the connected stereo speakers I have on my desk.

How can I get the 5.1 to work? I've just bought Battlefield 4 and would love to use this headset with this game. Please help!

EDIT - I've tried going to the manufacturers website and looking at drivers, but when I downloaded and tried to install them it said 'Does not support this platform' as it only lists drivers upto windows 7.

lxgoldsmith

Honorable
Sep 25, 2012
sounds like windows 8.1 installed, it installed the wrong audio driver for your headset. you need to uninstall the headset driver and install the driver from the manufacturer's website.

justcallmetom13

Estimable
Mar 17, 2014
Step 1: Throw away your soundcard. The motherboard on your computer does what the soundcard does, except the motherboard does it 5 times better.

Step 2: Go into Battlefield 4 audio setting and change it to something like "Headphones".

There you go.

PS: Never buy a soundcard again

21stPhantom

Estimable
Mar 7, 2014

You did not read my post correctly. I have a motherboard with good on board audio. I did not buy a soundcard. I am aware of the BF4 audio settings.

justcallmetom13

Estimable
Mar 17, 2014

Really sorry, wrong thread.

Change the in-game audio settings.

Surround sound overall is a gimmick.

You have 2 ears, stereo (2.1) is more than enough.