Spark/fried display connection on laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlr2306

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017
Hi All,

I have a ASUS ROG G751JL-BB17T29 and recently changed the battery in it as it had stopped charging. Stupidly I didn't unplug the battery before plugging the the display back in and it sparked, followed by a burning smell. So now there is no display when I turn the laptop back on. If I shine a light on the screen i can see my desktop and it also works when plugged into an external display.

Looking at the motherboard, it looks like the pins on the display point have become deformed. (I have a pic if needed). I'm just wondering if this is something repairable? New mobos for this laptop aren't cheap, so i'd rather just repair this one if possible

Solution
Yes, it is easily repairable, first you have to clean the black residue from the motherboard with isopropyl alcohol, you also need a soldering iron to solder the new component. This is the inductor you need. You can order more than one, for safety.

carlr2306

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017

Thanks for your answer.

Here is the only image i currently have, i'll have to open it up again tomorrow to get some more.

https://imgur.com/0iCN6JY

carlr2306

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017
Wow that's a relief to hear! Thanks so much for your help.

I doubt I'll do it myself as I have 0 electrical/soldering knowledge, but at least I can potentially take it to someone now!

Thanks again!

Dec 8, 2018
i have done the same mistake and my laptop is not turning on

Status
Not open for further replies.