SPDIF (optical audio) vs HDMI

TheDormouse

Commendable
Dec 29, 2016
Is there an advantage to using SPDIF vs HDMI for sound? I currently have my Monitor connected via HDMI to my Computer. I have a SPDIF I/O Port. There's also one on my Sound Card. Would I get any difference in sound if I used that connection? I know I need a Toslink cable to use SPDIF. Is there anything I need to do internally if I go that route? I have 2.1 speakers with Xonar DGX Sound Card. (I might upgrade to 5.1 speakers, not sure).

Thanks for your help.

Solution
Nope. In fact, for some reason Toslink introduces like 2 seconds silence at the beginning of a surround signal, I dunno why, HDMI doesn't have this quirk. HDMI is designed for this specific job, don't get taken by that fancy optical labeling.
Nope. In fact, for some reason Toslink introduces like 2 seconds silence at the beginning of a surround signal, I dunno why, HDMI doesn't have this quirk. HDMI is designed for this specific job, don't get taken by that fancy optical labeling.

Solution

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008

The delay is caused because Toslink isn't powered if it isn't being used, so it takes a second or so to switch on.

SPDIF is very format limited due to bandwidth; it can handle Stereo, Dolby Digital (5.1) and DTS (5.1). That's it; no uncompressed (lossless) multichannel audio support. Once upon a time, when Dolby/DTS were the only games in town, it was a convenient way to hook up A/V equipment, but nowadays it just needs to die. HDMI is superior in every way.