Speaker and amp compatibility

acheater

Commendable
Sep 11, 2016
Hey everyone. Forget my ignorance but the internet seems to be confusing me on the answer. I currently have a Sony BDV-N9200W System but have just purchased a STRDN860. I was hoping to use the speakers from the N9200 with the new amp. Are these compatible? I understand that the Sub won't work from what I have read but are the other speakers ok?

Solution
The specs for the speakers on the BDV-N9200W aren't listed in the manual. The only thing that IS listed is the power rating and it is listed as xxx at 6ohms. The graphic on the back of the STRDN860 show the range of impedance for the speakers as 6 - 16 ohms. I would GUESS the speakers would be OK. I have no definitive proof from the manuals.

kanewolf

Judicious
The specs for the speakers on the BDV-N9200W aren't listed in the manual. The only thing that IS listed is the power rating and it is listed as xxx at 6ohms. The graphic on the back of the STRDN860 show the range of impedance for the speakers as 6 - 16 ohms. I would GUESS the speakers would be OK. I have no definitive proof from the manuals.

Solution
As kanewolf says you should be OK with the front and surround speakers.
You will have more power than before so be careful not to damage the speakers. HTS are not rated for power to the same standard as receivers so the specs can be deceiving.
You may have an issue using the subwoofer. Most home theater packages have the subwoofer amplifier in the main unit. Surround sound receivers assume that the sub is self powered. To use the passive sub with the receiver you will need a power amp to drive it. You can tell that the sub is passive if it doesn't have a power cord.