Speaker cable to stereo mini plug adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SURD

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
Hello,

I'm wondering if there is any such thing as a regular copper speaker cable to stereo mini plug adapter.
The thing is, I have speakers built into the wall and ceiling with speaker cables (4 strands of copper, I don't know what gauge)coming out from the wall. I would like to connect this cable to my receiver or an iPod so I can listen to music from the speakers in the wall.

It can be something like speakers cables -> RCA female -> stereo mini plug. The connection does not need to be direct.

Any help, suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

rexter

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Your In-wall speakers must be connected to an amplifier/receiver then to your ipod.

To connect amplifier to ipod requires male RCA red and black/white to male miniplug for your ipod.

SURD

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, that will work, but the problem is, the wall where the speaker cables are hanging out from, is about 15ft away from the receiver and where my TV is. So I wanted to just use the in-wall speakers for the occasional iPod music listening. Also, the new speakers/receiver system I'm thinking about purchasing does not have any speaker cable interface (only RCA)...
If there is nothing I can do to easily convert the speaker cable to mini plug, how would I go about extending the speaker cable close enough to my current receiver?
I'm sort of stuck in a place where all options seem like a second choice.
Thanks again for your help.

jimbowne

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
I suggest you extend the speaker wire to your existing receiver by attaching new speaker wire to the old and connecting it to your receiver. That is the only option short of purchasing a new receiver to power the in wall speakers. Your ipod cannot power the speakers, so even if there was a connector that is stereo mini (3.5 mm) to speaker wire it wouldn't work without an amplifier or receiver in between.
-Jim

SURD

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
Thank you.
I was hoping there will be a small powered device that will serve as an adapter or something of the equivalent, but it sounds like there is nothing i can do except extend the speaker cables and find a receiver with the speaker holes (or clips or whatever it is called).
Do I understand correctly that I would need a crimp-on butt connector to extend the current speaker cables? Would this in any way compromise the sound quality? Not like I have any choice considering the cables are already inside the wall, but I just want to make sure.
Thank you.

jimbowne

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
It won't really compromise sound quality that much. The sound quality will depend on the source file, speakers, and receiver much more than the actual wire and its connections; although if the wire is crappy that could make a big difference especially if it is long.
-Jim

cbuck1

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
I have the same question with a different problem. I have an iPod speaker system with a built-in Amp and CD player. I'm not satisfied with its built-in speakers, but the only output is a stereo mini. So without building my own, is there a simple adapter to attach external speakers to a stereo mini plug?

Status
Not open for further replies.