Speaker Hiss too noticeable from listening position

nickshady707

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
I just installed a creative T6200 5.1 speakers and a Creative 5.1 VX sound card.
The speakers are positioned as it is in a 3.1 setup( I bought the 5.1 n forgot t rca extension cables ). Now just switching the speakers on is producing a very noticeable hiss. The hiss is not masked when playing songs either. I read a lot of replies in a similar thread saying its normal but should worry when the hiss is heard from a listening position but no solutions. Now I'm worried. What do I do. ?Please suggest.

stillerfan15

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010

The sub is good to go now?
Dave

Simonc7340

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
Electro Magnetic fields were responsible as cables are vulnerable (especially data) to picking up noise from un shielded transformers or anything generating an electrical magnetic field, say a motor or coiled component like an solenoid - the old scenario of using a hairdryer near an amplifier springs to mind. Cables with sufficient shielding should cut this down. Lack of earthing of audio equipment can also cause noise to enter the sound system - check your connections have earthing.

nickshady707

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2010
ok guys.... there has been a misconception from my side..... it was not the ups.....
the sub has an option for two configurations... one is the normal 5.1 placement of speakers... and the other is 3.1 stacked(i.e where two speakers kept in a stack on each side forming a 3.1 like setup).... and the hiss was pronounced to like 200% ( with what i could make out from my hearing perception) when i had selected the 3.1 mode.... when i select the 5.1 mode, the speakers are just fine....

sorry for the misreading of the problem... thnx all