Solved! Speakers buzzing and whining when moving mouse or scrolling with mouse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgibson132

Estimable
Jul 22, 2015
Studio monitors buzzing and whining when moving mouse, scrolling with mouse wheel or when there is any CPU/GPU activity. The noise becomes unbearably intense when playing games.

Solution
I know that I am answering my own question but I really wanted to help people out there with the same problem! To start off I was using a 3.5mm jack to dual ts jack cable, I connected the monitors (JBL lsr305) directly into my onboard soundcard. The buzzing and whining started instantly as I turned my PC on. It was not a 60hz hum but a high pitch whine that fluctuated continuously with a weird buzz in the background. It sounded like EMI or like radio interference. The noise would still be present even if my computer's volume was 0. I then started to experiment.

-I connected the 3.5mm Jack into my display and used my graphics cards audio through HDMI. The noise was still there! Even if I disabled the HDMI audio! The noise would only go...

dgibson132

Estimable
Jul 22, 2015
I know that I am answering my own question but I really wanted to help people out there with the same problem! To start off I was using a 3.5mm jack to dual ts jack cable, I connected the monitors (JBL lsr305) directly into my onboard soundcard. The buzzing and whining started instantly as I turned my PC on. It was not a 60hz hum but a high pitch whine that fluctuated continuously with a weird buzz in the background. It sounded like EMI or like radio interference. The noise would still be present even if my computer's volume was 0. I then started to experiment.

-I connected the 3.5mm Jack into my display and used my graphics cards audio through HDMI. The noise was still there! Even if I disabled the HDMI audio! The noise would only go away if I disconnected the HDMI from my display.
-After doing extensive amounts of research I came across people properly grounding their motherboards to their computers chassis by scraping the paint off the motherboard screws and PSU screws, I did this and the noise was slightly reduced, but still there, and still too loud and annoying.
-I then thought it was an interference problem within my computer so I decided to buy a bus powered audio interface. I bought the Alesis Control Hub with dual ts cables to dual ts cables and hooked the interface up to my monitors and some of the noise was reduced but still there!!! I was extremely frustrated.
-After long hours of painstaking research I came across a forum where some guy explained something about current leaking through the ground into ports and connections on the motherboard due to poor design and so on, it made alot of sense because the noise would become more intense when you did any CPU/GPU intensive tasks, the components would draw more current therefore more noise because somewhere that current is leaking into the ground of the computer? (Excuse my absolute zero to none knowledge about circuits and my poor English).

So the problem is that current is leaking through the ground of the PC? Unbalanced cables use their shield which is connected to ground as a path for signal (much more complicated than this, don't understand it myself, has to do with the amplifier using the ground as a reference of zero volts). Well if the problem is the ground of the signal cable, why not eliminate the ground? Balanced cables are the answer! Upon being immune to interference the cable's ground is NOT USED BY THE AMPLIFIER. Therefore the noise should disappear? And it did! I purchased balanced TRS cables to XLR cables and they worked like a charm!!! No noise, just complete utter silence. Just make sure you buy an audio interface that has balanced outputs (not always clear but the Alesis Control Hub has balanced outputs and did a prefect job!), and make sure that your monitors have balanced inputs.

Solution

roadrunner71

Prominent
May 1, 2017
I was also having a similar problem. Mine was the same as this forum but it is closed:http://

Mouse movement was bad and Mouse scrolling was worse. I tried moving to different usb ports... The other forum mentioned an external usb hub. I had one laying around that I was going to try. The Plug did not fit into one of my surge protectors so I disconnected another device from my other surge protector, a trade. The noise was gone and I did not even connect anything to the hub yet. Turns out that something with my cordless phone (The device I moved) or its wall wart was causing the problem. My laptop does not have balanced outputs so that was not an option. Just glad to not have the buzz anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.