Speakers for Large room? 30x40ft

deathbydoubleG

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
the room is 1,2000 sqft. I am new to surround sound but i assume that 5.1 surround sound might not be a match for 30x40 ft.. I would like to keep the price under $700 but i am having trouble choosing between all of the speakers available. I also need some way of hooking my iphone up to the speaker preferably through AUX as I will be getting a new iphone when the iphone 5 comes out and they are changing the dock. i will not be placing the rear speakers at the back of the room, rather, just behind the point where the couch will be. thanks :D

Solution
Hmm i suggest not skimping on the sub and hit a 5.1 1st for your budget - off Egg with free ship:
Untitled-1531.jpg

batuchka

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Floor standers that are somewhat efficient are built to fill larger rooms with great sound and if you want to go 5.1 best get your fronts and center from the same line for timbre matching :p

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
For movies I tend to recommend a strong subwoofer and then small speakers for the surround effects.

For music I tend to recommend less emphasis/budget on the subwoofer and more emphasis towards getting front and surround floor standers.

So if you want emphasize on movies mainly, then buy 1 or 2 for (5.2) subwoofers for surround sound and get small speakers for fronts and surrounds. There is absolutely no point in floor standers for movies. Movies and Pre-Amps all send the bass signals to the subwoofer determined by software-based crossovers so floor standers wouldn't be much of a benefit (and they are usually more expensive).

If music is still important for you then I would get floor standers for my fronts. You REALLY want to get a full range stereo effect for the best music experience.