Speakers on digital are hijacking analog output

Vexillarius

Estimable
Aug 23, 2014
Hey guys, long time no see.

I just bought a set of secondhand Logitech Z-5500's, to replace my Z506's. Sounds great, got it hooked up over SPDIF to an Asus DGX. My headphones are also connected to the DGX, but with regular analog cables.

I thought this would work fine: I'd just set the playback device to the DGX's digital output when I want to use the speakers and switch to the analog output when I want to use my headphones.

However, when I switch to analog output the Z-5500's will also start playing, in stereo, along with my headphones. This is obviously not what I want.

What's going on here? How do I get my speakers to shut up when analog output is selected (without hotplugging everytime I want to switch between the two)?

Thanks in advance!

Solution

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
There is usually a check-box in the software that says something similar to "mute X when Y is plugged in." Probably in the software mixer. I don't see one in Windows, but I have seen this checkbox in audio software.

Vexillarius

Estimable
Aug 23, 2014

There doesn't seem to be such an option unfortunately. I did just figure out that the Z-5500's have big physical mute button right on the front of the control pod (I feel like an old man now...), so that's something.

Is it normal behaviour for speakers hooked up to digital output to play when analog output of the same soundcard is set as the playback device?

EDIT: Also, the speakers go haywire when I switch back to digital output. Sounds like everything is playing at 2x or 3x speed and distorted. Even Youtube videos start playing twice as fast, while Youtube's videoplayer's speed is still set to normal. Weird.

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008

I have the Logitech Z5300 THX 5.1 setup and could of sworn it was in their software. I will check when I get home tonight, for you.

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
It sounds like the sample rate is changing when you attempt to revert. I would say yes it is normal because you have only selected an output without managing input. So anything that comes thru will be played out the digital outputs, even analog audio. You need to mute the digital output when an analog connection is detected. This must be in the mixer software!

Vexillarius

Estimable
Aug 23, 2014

The Z-5500's don't come with their own software. I'm messing about in the DGX's control panel.

It sounds like the sample rate is changing when you attempt to revert. I would say yes it is normal because you have only selected an output without managing input. So anything that comes thru will be played out the digital outputs, even analog audio. You need to mute the digital output when an analog connection is detected. This must be in the mixer software!

Ah I see. I'll try some things out with the sampling rate tomorrow because it's a little too late here right now to test a 500w speaker system. Aside from that, it sounds like I'll have to live with hitting the mute button when switching, or I'll have to hook the speakers up to a completely seperate sound device.

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008

I use my onboard audio for gaming with my Z5300's but use my Asus Xonar Essence ST for listening to music with Sennheiser 558 headphones. I am wondering what would happen if I attempted your setup(both outputs hooked to my Xonar ST). Probably the same thing. I'm not crazy though.... I've seen this checkbox!

Solution