Speakers vs receiver

karthikeyanj

Estimable
May 22, 2014
I'm confused choosing the right speaker for my receiver with regards to ohms and watts.
My receiver is Pioneer vsx rs320k.
SpecificationsAudio section
FTC power output. . . 65 W + 65 W(STEREO, 20 Hz to 20 kHz, 8 Ω, 0.2 %)

Rated power output (Front, Center, Surround). . . . . . . .125 W per channel (1 kHz, 6 Ω, 1 %)

Maximum power output (Front, Center, Surround). . . . . . .150 W per channel (1 kHz, 6 Ω, 10 %)

Total Harmonic Distortion. . . . . 0.06 % (20 Hz to 20 kHz, 8 Ω, 85 W/ch)

Guaranteed speaker impedance. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 6 Ω to 16 ΩInput (Sensitivity/Impedance)

with the above mentioned details im totally confused which has to be considered as ohms and watts.

Now I have chosen 2 models of speakers.

1. Polk 705 which is 50watts average and 100 watts max and 8ohms

2. Yamaha ps-40 which is also same specs but ohms is 6.

I want to setup a good home theatre system. Not sure what is right watt and ohms of the receiver. What is the right speaker for it.

Please suggest me.

Solution
The simple answer is that it's not worth doing the math, in addition to that, more than likely you won't get the info you need to see what the AVR is really doing. 6 Ohm nominal or 8 Ohm nominal speakers will be fine and for 5 channels a realistic number for power will be in the 45-60 watt range for a clean signal. That doesn't mean you're supposed to look for speakers rated at that, most speakers will handle quite a bit more than that so just get some that sound good to you.

If you want to play really loud (such as ears starting to bleed at 2 meters) worry more about getting speakers that have a sensitivity over 91dB.

kanewolf

Judicious
If you can, all the speakers in a surround sound setup should be the same. That way there is no tonal shift when sounds transition between speakers.

Either the 6ohm or 8ohm speakers will be fine. Except for VERY LOUD sounds the amp will be outputting less than 5W / channel.
You should go listen to the speakers you are thinking about getting in person. One may sound better than the other to YOU. Bring your own source material (CD, DVD, BlueRay, etc). Something you are very familiar with.

karthikeyanj

Estimable
May 22, 2014

Thanks for your reply....

I understood that 6ohm and 8ohm speaker is suitable for a 6ohm receiver.

But the receiver that I have mentioned has some specification which says

FTC power output - 65+65W in case of 2 channel and the ohms as 8
Rated power output - Front + Center + Surround as 125 w per channel @ 6ohms
Maximum power output - Front + Center + Surround as as 150w per channel @ 6ohms
THD - Total Harmonic Distortion - 85w per channel @ 8ohms
Guaranteed speaker impedance - 6ohms to 16ohms

If I think to go for 6 ohms speaker then Im confused with the specification THD says 8ohms.
If I think to go for 8 ohms speaker then confused that I should not loose the sound and quality since Max power and Rated power says 6 ohms.

Im sure that we can buy 8 ohms speaker for 6 ohms receiver, but still there would be some watts loss right ?

Can any one clarify what is my receiver correct ohms and watts. Which specification from the receiver is to be considered for a 5.1 home theater speaker.

How about watts ? My receiver says when stereo mode (FTC) 65w per channel, Rated power output as 125W, Max power as 150w

What is right watts to be considered and what is the right ohms to be considered ?

Please help me out. I'm trying to find a solution for a long time.

ien2222

Distinguished
The simple answer is that it's not worth doing the math, in addition to that, more than likely you won't get the info you need to see what the AVR is really doing. 6 Ohm nominal or 8 Ohm nominal speakers will be fine and for 5 channels a realistic number for power will be in the 45-60 watt range for a clean signal. That doesn't mean you're supposed to look for speakers rated at that, most speakers will handle quite a bit more than that so just get some that sound good to you.

If you want to play really loud (such as ears starting to bleed at 2 meters) worry more about getting speakers that have a sensitivity over 91dB.

Solution

Hafiz Tronics

Commendable
Feb 7, 2017
speakers are, by far, the better investment for the future. This is because they are always coming out with new features for receivers, that people feel the need to get. So the receiver is basically going to be replaced eventually anyway, so putting extra money there is a waste. But you can still use old speakers, and if they are great, then there is no need to replace them. And speakers also can last a lifetime, if they are not abused and if they are well-made.