Spent 1200 smackers on a gaming pc with nowhere to put a disc?

zookeeperz

Commendable
Jul 20, 2016
At the risk of sounding dumb. I just bought a Primal GT7 GTX 1070 gaming PC. Now every PC I have ever owned has had a slot where you insert your dvd/cd's . This doesn't have any !! Why?
How am I supposed to play the games if I cannot even put a disc in the damn machine. Surely this isn't how it was supposed to come? For £1200 I think it's a bit of a liberty just to have a local C: and D: drive and no access to put any software or DVD's . I am thinking of telling them to poke it and come collect it. Or is this how they are made today?

cheers

Zoo

Solution
As a result of the growing popularity of digital distribution of games, DVD drives are not longer standard hardware in a laptop. This has been the trend for a few years now and with each year fewer and fewer laptops have DVD drives.

If you have a lot of games on DVDs that you want to play when you are out and about, then you will either need to purchase an external DVD drive and bring it along with you or return your current laptop and look for another one which has a DVD drive.

You can also check to see if an internal DVD is an option for your laptop. If it is an option, then you may likely be able purchase it separately and install it yourself.

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
I think it is becoming more common these days for PC's to not have a cd/dvd reader-writer installed. You can purchase one for about $20 and install it in one of the 2 empty bays on the front of the case. You will just have to remove one of the "blanks" below where the usb and audio ports are.

bluejayek

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
Many laptops these days don't come with disc drives. Most softwares nowadays can be downloaded, or installed from a USB flash drive, so they just aren't needed. If you are buying a laptop and want a particular feature, be sure to actually check the specs for it before buying it.

If you find yourself needing a disc drive now, you can always buy a USB one and hook it up to your laptop. Check here:
http://www.newegg.com/External-CD-DVD-Blu-Ray-Drives/SubCategory/ID-420/Page-2

for external drives available from Newegg for as low as 12$ or so.

No-where on the specs or the pictures do they show a DVD player http://www.dinopc.com/shop/pc/Primal-GT7-GTX-1070-Gaming-PC-p2790.htm

Many gamers use online distribution like Steam, I think the last disk game I got was SIMS 3 for my kids which came out in 2009 and maybe one of the WOW expansions from 4-5 years back.

Has been happening with quite a few people that buy laptops also, there are posts all the time when someone buys a laptop then asks how to open the non-existent DVD drive.

As a result of the growing popularity of digital distribution of games, DVD drives are not longer standard hardware in a laptop. This has been the trend for a few years now and with each year fewer and fewer laptops have DVD drives.

If you have a lot of games on DVDs that you want to play when you are out and about, then you will either need to purchase an external DVD drive and bring it along with you or return your current laptop and look for another one which has a DVD drive.

You can also check to see if an internal DVD is an option for your laptop. If it is an option, then you may likely be able purchase it separately and install it yourself.

Solution

Snipergod87

Distinguished
May 26, 2009

We are talking about a desktop here.