Spilled milk on laptop

soulnu

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
Hi
I just spilled a some milk (around half a cup) over the top of the keyboard of my laptop. I turned it off as soon as I could and it’s upside down. How fatal is this? I would strip it down as I have some computer knowledge (I’ve built my own pc) but I’ve never stripped down the laptop and it uses some weird star shaped screw which ive ordered off of amazon and it’s coming 3-4 days. I will then strip it down and clean with isopropyl alcohol but intil then I’ll leave it upside down powered off. Is my laptop dead for sure or is it possible it will survive? In the 20 or so seconds it took me to power it off it acted as if it were fine.

Solution
If you were able to turn it off before it showed any sign of damage there might still be hope.
Trying to clean it is probably the best choice, any residue could be bad.

Now, even if the system still works the keyboard is probably a gonner.

Gam3r01

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
If you were able to turn it off before it showed any sign of damage there might still be hope.
Trying to clean it is probably the best choice, any residue could be bad.

Now, even if the system still works the keyboard is probably a gonner.

Solution

Gam3r01

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
I would still wait an see how cleaning goes before looking for a new keyboard, but if you need a replacement I would have to google it the same as you would, so I would focus on making sure the rest of the laptop is milk free, cleaned, and air dried for a few days.

soulnu

Prominent
Oct 29, 2017
Ok thanks I’ve looked and can’t find anything on keyboard replacements so I’ll just wait until the screwdriver arrives do you think having to wait before cleaning it off will affect the chances much?

Gam3r01

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
If there was going to be damage it would have happened by now, so waiting a few days wont hurt. You are probably past the point where shorting out is an issue, but before the point corrosion is an issue. A good cleaning is a solid idea.