Spilled Soda on Sager np8235, boot problems after turning on. Please help.

glowtone

Honorable
Jan 5, 2014
Basically one evening I spilled coke on my laptop. I immediately shut it down, turned it upside down, unplugged it and took out the battery. After wiping up all visible traces of coke and cleaning the sticky residue as best as possible and letting it dry for two days, I attempted to turn it on. The screen doesn't work at all, but when plugged into an HDMI cable to a separate monitor, I see it turning on.
The computer doesn't boot, and presents an error: "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media". In the bios, I can see that my GPU is recognized and both my SSD and HDD are recognized, however in boot options, I only have 3 options: whichever drive is in port 3, "disabled" and the network. I tried both hard drives in port 3 and attempted to boot, but the computer always kicks me back to "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media".

Has anyone encountered this issue before? Is it fixable? As far as I can tell my screen is fried and my first drive port is fried but is there a way to save the laptop?

G

Open it up, take out the components and wash them with DISTILLED water. Do multiple washes/baths. Dry completely before turning back on. It won't fry your components because pure water is non-conductive. However, you risk galvanic corrosion of dissimilar metals if you turn it on before completely dry!!!

No need to use isopropyl, since the soda residue is completely water soluble.

Existing corrosion and fried chips won't be fixed by this.