Question spilled some water on 2015 macbook pro a week ago - keyboard dead, and external keyboard working very wpnkily. help?

Sep 7, 2022
note: 2015 mac-book pro

So since about a week ago... I accidentally spilled my water, on my keyboard. Sigh, it's totally my fault. But since then my keyboard has been totally dead. I can't log in to my computer anymore. I press anything on my keyboard? nada. nothing happens so I thought to grab y'know, an external keyboard. Well, it somewhat works. some letters pressed give you input, some don't, and some just work like shit - I press H and it, like backspace, removes letters. Weird!

Anyway, I went into safe mode, given the computer saw me having problems logging in and gave me a prompt to boot recovery mode. Now, all the letters on my external keyboard (main one still dead) - they work perfectly! within recovery mode, anyway. and that's when the problem continues. I resetted my password to a more simple, one-letter one (like, four Vs, four As, etc.). When I try to log in - enter the new, simple one outside of safe mode when booting in. Well, it don't work. It's apparently the wrong pasword! I'm not sure why, but given theýre familiar blurred dots when entering the password, they might not be the right letters.

Okay, there's the option when booting in recovery mode - unlock filevault. So, I typed my password iin safe mode (works perfectly well...) but then apparently "the password supplied fails to unlock your computer or some such". I'm now at a loss, because, well, my warranty's long past dead (got this in 2016) and I don't wanna lose any of my data in case repairs have to reset or restart something or some such.

Is there anything I can do?

Anawilliam850

Prominent
Dec 22, 2022
If the keyboard works in recovery mode but not in the normal operating system, it's likely that the keyboard itself is damaged and in need of repair. Additionally, if you are unable to log in to your computer even with a simple password, it's possible that the keyboard is not properly inputting the correct characters.
One thing you can try is to boot your MacBook Pro into safe mode and then use the on-screen keyboard to log in to your account. Once logged in, you can try using the on-screen keyboard to enter your password to unlock FileVault.
If that doesn't work, you can try using a bootable USB drive to boot your Mac into recovery mode, and then try to mount the internal drive and then copy your files to an external drive.
Another option is, taking the help of a professional technician. They may be able to diagnose the issue and repair or replace the damaged keyboard.
Keep in mind, that if you decide to take your macbook to a professional technician, you may need to backup your data before the repair.