Solved! Spilled water on my touchpad/trackpad

Jun 26, 2019
Sorry for the explanation being so long.

Ok so I was drinking some water and somehow I chocked on it so I spilled some water on my MacBook Air trackpad/touchpad (I’m not sure what it’s called and what the difference is) and keyboard, and now it’s acting weird.

My screen turns on and off like it should and works complete fine and so does my keyboard (does feel a little weird but understandable) but my touchpad/trackpad is out of control.

Whenever I try to move it around it goes in different directions, shakes (the mouse icon), and I can’t click on anything so I can’t go out of my current taps. I was on safari and discord when it happened and now I can’t close any of them for some reason. I click the exit button but nothing happens.

I can move my wireless mouse around without any problem (though the touchpad/trackpad does make it difficult by sometimes making the mouse icon go somewhere different) and I was able to use my wireless mouse to click on things but now I can’t do that too.

I tried turning my MacBook on and off but that didn't help. I obviously dried it off as I should but I’m assume it’s still wet on the inside of the touchpad/trackpad (??). I just turned my MacBook completely off and not even 15 minutes later it turned on again without me even touching it, and here we are on the login page with the mouse icon still acting weird. It also just started blowing out air (you know when you play a game and it has to blow out air so it doesn’t overheat) and I am not even playing anything on it.

I have no idea what to do. Do I just wait a few days for it to dry? And if so how many days? Or should I do something different?

Update: My MacBook turned on once again without me touching it. My touchpad/trackpad doesn’t work at all now. I connected my wireless mouse and that works. I could even click on my account but when I had to type the password nothing happened. My keyboard was all fine earlier. I really don’t know what to do now.

Well, I can’t turn it on now. I think it’s because of the keyboard not working, since the power button is part of the keyboard. I can charge it though but it still doesn’t turn on. Should I just leave it or?

Another update: I still can’t turn it on and I think it’s because of the keyboard. Since the keyboard got wet and started not working I suppose it also affected/effected (yeah I don’t remember which word) the turn off/on button since it’s part of the keyboard. I can still charge the computer though (the charger lights this yellow light when it charges and it still does that). I’m gonna take it to a repair center sometime.

Last edited:
Solution
I can’t disassemble it. You can’t really take anything out from a MacBook, I mean unless you have proper tools I suppose. So I can’t clean it on the inside but I did clean it on the outside.

I’m guessing the only option left is to wait a few hours or days?

If you get any electronic thing wet, don't touch it for at least a day, take it apart as much as you can and dry it out.

If you start using it when it can still be wet somewhere it just increases the chances of a larger or permanent issue happening.

If it still does this odd turning on or off thing, then you need to have it looked at by a repair center.
I can’t disassemble it. You can’t really take anything out from a MacBook, I mean unless you have proper tools I suppose. So I can’t clean it on the inside but I did clean it on the outside.

I’m guessing the only option left is to wait a few hours or days?

If you get any electronic thing wet, don't touch it for at least a day, take it apart as much as you can and dry it out.

If you start using it when it can still be wet somewhere it just increases the chances of a larger or permanent issue happening.

If it still does this odd turning on or off thing, then you need to have it looked at by a repair center.

Solution