Discussion Spilled wine over a $1500 notebook

Feb 8, 2019
Hello, this is my first post here and I am really desperate. About 1 hour ago I spilled a fair amount of wine over my notebook (asus gl703). When it happened I instantly turned it off by forcing shut down and took out the AC charger. I obviously dried it off as much as I could. This notebook does not have a removable battery, and I can't open it right now because I don't have the tools (believe me, I tried), however, the batery is far from where the wine was spilled, so I think that may no be an issue. Also, 1min after I dried it off, I accidentally turned it on (and turned it off right after) and it started booting as if nothing happened, so I at least think it has not toasted. Has someone ever passed this situation with this notebook or a similar one? Or even passed this situation with any notebook at all? I would really appreciate any tips.

If you don't feel comfortable opening it up yourself, then you need to take it to a tech. Water is a bad enough spill, but any other liquid will be worse. All liquid tends to get places you don't expect and it may not even react right away. This is because, if not opened up to dry and in the case of anything other than way, be cleaned it will seep into all kinds of things and then as it dries it will start to leave a sticky residue. Once it is all dry this residue has to be cleaned and then allowed to dry again.

This is, of course, hoping that nothing got damaged in the process.

Trying to use the device while it still has any liquid or sticky stuff in it can lead to a totally fried laptop. Considering what you spent on the device, don't risk it, get a tech to clean it up.

Feb 8, 2019
If you don't feel comfortable opening it up yourself, then you need to take it to a tech. Water is a bad enough spill, but any other liquid will be worse. All liquid tends to get places you don't expect and it may not even react right away. This is because, if not opened up to dry and in the case of anything other than way, be cleaned it will seep into all kinds of things and then as it dries it will start to leave a sticky residue. Once it is all dry this residue has to be cleaned and then allowed to dry again.

This is, of course, hoping that nothing got damaged in the process.

Trying to use the device while it still has any liquid or sticky stuff in it can lead to a totally fried laptop. Considering what you spent on the device, don't risk it, get a tech to clean it up.
Well, I just sent it to technical support, and after I spilled wine over it I turned it off and never turned it on again.

Feb 8, 2019
Damn, guess I was unlucky and lucky at the same time. The notebook had no damage at all hahaha. Thanks Asus for making such a good product.