Sporadic USB3.0 Speeds Toshiba Satellite

billyrave

Commendable
Nov 29, 2016
My Satellite S855-S5378 has 2 USB 3.0 ports. It took multiple web searches to find out how to turn them on - but in copying files to/from 'thumb' drives (including Sandisk Ultra 3.0) the speed MAY start at 50MB/sec but then quickly drops to 10-15MB/sec, while just now, the indicated speed of a copy starts and stays between 10-15MB/sec. The same thing happened with my WD 1TB portable HDs - sometimes they moved data consistently at 80MB/sec, but other times at 10-15MB/sec, fluctuating. Other than Firefox (and I'm not actively web searching during this) and AVG 'free ed' I have no other major programs running (of course there's a million processes in the bg). Any ideas? Thanks!

Actual transfer speed & fluctuation depends, amongst other things, on size & number of files being transferred.
If you transfer just one very big file, the speed will stay pretty much constant, but when transferring a whole bunch of small files of varying sizes, the speed will be all over the place.

Degree of fragmentation of the storage device is also a relevant factor, as mentioned by previous poster.

billyrave

Commendable
Nov 29, 2016

billyrave

Commendable
Nov 29, 2016

These ridiculously slow speeds occur even if (as I just answered Phillip) I'm copying 3.0 to 3.0 devices plugged into the 3.0 ports w/o any data coming from the internal HD. Sigh.