Square: Accept Credit Card Payments on Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimpy1

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2008
If this allows anyone to easily accept credit cards, then it could be huge. Armies of Girl Scouts (a.k.a. cookie pushers) will be able to peddle their addictive treats on even the cash-poor. Panhandlers will no longer be limited to pocket change. And the list goes on...

festerovic

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
This has the look of being a great vehicle for criminals to further commit credit card fraud.

But other than that, it's also really cool for small business owners.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
beats the 3.5" credit card reader slot that came on desktop PC years back....

in Japan, you can use phone as train card and credit card/pay service...the embedded chip stores how much money you have and all you have to do is swipe the phone on the reader and the money is taken out of your account...

i doubt such service would work in US due to too many assholes stealing personal information but in the future....

@ubuyusave@gmailcom - this is almost 2010....that kind of noob post is so 1990....

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
This looks like an intresting system, for it to work though you would need a smartphone with a camera,touchscreen and stylus,a mini usb port and mobile internet or wifi.

Accidental

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Completely useless. I can't see how this can replace the swipe and sign pads in most major outlets and the swipe, print and sign in other outlets. This is poorly invested money going down the drain.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]accidental[/nom]Completely useless. I can't see how this can replace the swipe and sign pads in most major outlets and the swipe, print and sign in other outlets. This is poorly invested money going down the drain.[/citation]

It is not aimed at major outlets. From what I gather, Square was designed for people who operate very small, independent businesses. The website gives the example of an artist being unable to sell a piece because he cannot accept credit card payments.

TeKEffect

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
They already have a app on the pre that does this except you have to manualy type in the information..This one will be a faster way to input the card information.

ckthecerealkiller

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
[citation][nom]gimpy1[/nom]Panhandlers will no longer be limited to pocket change. And the list goes on...[/citation]

I'm pretty sure I'll keep my money if a panhandler pulls out a touchscreen.

In all honesty this isn't really a new idea. It is still unrefined though. If square makes the product appealing and available on almost any device with a touchscreen. This might be the market winner!

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]ckthecerealkiller[/nom]I'm pretty sure I'll keep my money if a panhandler pulls out a touchscreen.In all honesty this isn't really a new idea. It is still unrefined though. If square makes the product appealing and available on almost any device with a touchscreen. This might be the market winner![/citation]
ROFL! That's pretty good.

Yeah, I agree. Make the device more generic so it can be used with a variety of phones and you've got a real winner here. This would be an absolute boon to small service businesses who do most of their work "out in the field."

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
I believe this is going to be very useful for many small business. My only concern is... is iPhone secur enough to handle this kind task? This kind of device kind of provide the hackers a reason to spend sometime on iPhone hacking.

G

No fees, or just no monthly fees? I wonder how that will work out since everyone else has to pay for their credit card processing. If I had my own home business I would get in on this. Where I live most people don't deal with cash, they use cards.

intelliclint

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2006
One more step in the removal of paper money. Eventualy the the Fed will need to step in an make their own card. Which I hope will have better security then Cerdit Cards have today.

4 digits is to short of a pin.

Status
Not open for further replies.