Ssd in disk caddy concerns

Nov 27, 2015
I recently was gifted a sandisk 240 gig ssd. I was pumped when i recieved it but realized i dont need it in my desktop due to the fact it already has a ssd it boots from and 2tb of additional space. So i started researching and decided the ssd would serve me better in my asus rog laptop. It has a 5400rpm drive that likes to take its time during booting so I would like to make the ssd the os drive and have the other drive general storage. Theres one problem though: the only way i can get another drive in the laptop is through the use of a ssd caddy so i came here for help. I wanted to know if it would be smart to run the laptop off of a ssd that's plugged into a caddy or if theres any risks in that. Any and all help is really appreciated. Thanks for your time :D

ErgoProxy444

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
I know this is a very old post but for other users that have the same question it could be good if I answer this question because I have such a setup.
I have a Asus Sonicmaster Intel i7 4700HQ 2.4 Ghz 64 bit 8Gb ram, 1600Mhz SSD 128 Gb Disk in CADDY 500Gb windows 10
This laptop has a cold boot from 3 seconds to the desktop :ouch: my cs6 work is so much faster and it can handle a lot when I put in the ssd I decided to apply new thermal paste and to my surprise there is another HDD bay on the bottom of this mobo..... sweet I will be adding a third drive soon.
So in short the laptop really is performing very well with an SSD boot in combination with a drive in a caddy.